Blu ray region locking!!

A

aashna963

Audiophyte
For a while I've been kinda interested in importing a few US/region A blu-rays (I am in UK/region B). I generally watch my blu rays on my pc using powerdvd, which means I would be able to watch the region A disc(s), and because a lot of my blu ray collection is region free, I'd only have to switch back when I want to play my region B only discs, but I can only switch region 5 times, according to powerdvd.

I've done some research on the matter, and I've found conflicting information. The two main pieces of info are as follows:

1. The region is part of the Blu-ray drive's firmware, and so any attempts to circumvent the switch limit is pointless unless custom firmware is installed.
  2. The region is completely based in the player/software that reads the disc, so theoretically the drive could switch regions an infinite amount of times, if the software can be tricked into resetting the switch limit.
Im not sure what one is true. I don't want to run the risk of potentially locking my drive down (I know I'm kinda paranoid), but I don't want to just give up and potentially not be able to enjoy some blu rays not available in my region. Any info is much appreciated.word counter VidMate Mobdro

Note: I am aware that ripping completely ignores region and I do rip most of my blu rays, but sometimes I like to watch them off the disc, as I compress my rips to save space.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
For a while I've been kinda interested in importing a few US/region A blu-rays (I am in UK/region B). I generally watch my blu rays on my pc using powerdvd, which means I would be able to watch the region A disc(s), and because a lot of my blu ray collection is region free, I'd only have to switch back when I want to play my region B only discs, but I can only switch region 5 times, according to powerdvd.

I've done some research on the matter, and I've found conflicting information. The two main pieces of info are as follows:

1. The region is part of the Blu-ray drive's firmware, and so any attempts to circumvent the switch limit is pointless unless custom firmware is installed.
  2. The region is completely based in the player/software that reads the disc, so theoretically the drive could switch regions an infinite amount of times, if the software can be tricked into resetting the switch limit.
Im not sure what one is true. I don't want to run the risk of potentially locking my drive down (I know I'm kinda paranoid), but I don't want to just give up and potentially not be able to enjoy some blu rays not available in my region. Any info is much appreciated.word counter VidMate Mobdro

Note: I am aware that ripping completely ignores region and I do rip most of my blu rays, but sometimes I like to watch them off the disc, as I compress my rips to save space.
Interesting, Funny just last night My LG blu-ray started acting up. It's been a good unit till last night
I have mostly been using it for CD music only a few moves here and there. Yesterday afternoon I decided to watch Blade Runner 2049 blu-ray not the 4k have both Formats. Anyways it wouldn't read the disc, cleaned the disc tried Several times. Put in Game of Thrones samething. Next I put in Blade Runners 1st Final Cut and Walla! played without any hiccups. Let that movie run twice than just let it sit in the unit with just a still frame for half hour are so after running though the movie twice. Stop, opened up the tray put in GOT again, nothing pulled that movie out put in Jupiter Ascending nothing. Pulled that out put in DVD movie Wanted not blu-ray played Flawlessly. Pulled that out put in Thin Red Line, played without issue. Went back to GOT, Jupiter Ascending nothing. Took those three that wouldn't play in my LG went put those in my 4K Sony player took a little longer than Normal for that unit to Display a picture but played with no issues all three. So I'm thinking maybe something isn't Allowing that LG to read the Format. I did some Research on GOT the season 8 others have reported the there units wouldn't play season 8 others returned for or exchanged. So going pick up a new blu-ray player today. Gotta have a backup player.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis