Blu-ray Player: Pioneer BDP-51FD or PS3

K

kage

Enthusiast
Last week I ordered the Pioneer BDP-51FD and it arrives tomorrow and I'm considering in returning it. Do you think I should try it out and compare it to my PS3 even though I have a 37 inch 768p Sharp Aquos LCD tv and that I may not be able to see the difference in picture quality?

M

Martiad3

Audioholic
If it's already on the way, don't see why you wouldn't want to at least try it out. Unless there's some kind of return policy that says you can't return an opened item.

P

Panjsheri

Audioholic
Last week I ordered the Pioneer BDP-51FD and it arrives tomorrow and I'm considering in returning it. Do you think I should try it out and compare it to my PS3 even though I have a 37 inch 768p Sharp Aquos LCD tv and that I may not be able to see the difference in picture quality?
If you purchased it just to compare it then you wont notice any difference as you said your tv only does 768p. The PS3 has a blu ray player and I bet that it looks great as it is even though its only 768p. IMHO I think its a waste of time and money but if you have a friend that has a 1080p TV and want to connect your PS3 and blu ray player then that will be worth a look even though you might return it.

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why anyone would need a separate BD player if they've already got a PS3. This isn't like the old days where magnetic pickups have to read off tapes, and better pickups would result in better quality vid/aud (ie. VCRs).

All the PS3 has to do is take a digital video and digital audio signal, and pass it through to the outputs (assuming the use of HDMI). There's no DACs that would make a difference...

Other than minor differences in remote-menu function, I don't see how the PS3 could be much different from any other player. It supports full 1080p, does it not? Hell, my PS2 would do 1080i on some games, and that things ancient!!! lol :D

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
Buy the PS3, and use the $200 you save to buy yourself some PS3 games or BD's.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis