Blu-Ray Image Quality

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
The only chips that definitively trounce the Reon are the Realta's found in the Denons (and Marantzs?) and the Anchor Bay in the Oppo. The Marvell in the LG and one of the Pioneers? is arguably the Reon's equal.

The Uniphier, like the PS3, is good, but it is not nonpareil like the the Anchor Bay.
* You forgot the Gennum VXP Video Processor. :) Perhaps the very best one.

* No HQV Realta on Marantz products. On some Denon products, yes.

* And the Anchor Bay Technologies is not anyone chip, but only the VRS ABT-2010 Video Processor, which is the one that's good.

* And the HQV Reon-VX50 Video Processor is not necessary a good one, depending of it's implementation. But usually it is. Not always though.

* The Marvell in the LG is the Qdeo Video processor chip. Not bad, but not without it's faults.

* The one in the Oppo BDP-83 is by ABT (Anchor Bay Technologies) from the DVDO line of video processors. It is the newest ABT, the same as in the DVDO's Edge processor ($700).

Hmmm... I like all that stuff. :)

Last edited:
R

Robof83

Audioholic
Honestly, I bet all 3 would be nearly impossible to differintiate from under blind conditions.

Z

zvardanian

Audioholic Intern
Another vote for the Panny.

I have the BD-55...same as the BD-80.

The firmware updates are consistent, the image quality is excellent and the load times are pretty snappy.

I haven't had a single issue. Since most of these players listed will have similar image quality for blu-ray, you might want to read around about certain disk issues a player may have.

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I am in the market for a blu-ray player in the $200-$250 price range.

I was looking at these 3:

Sony BDP-S360
Panasonic DMP-BD60
Samsung BD-P1600

How does the image quality compare between these three?

The receiver I am getting will decode DTS-HD so the blu-ray player only needs to send it.
I am looking to spend the least without sacrificing image quality. I do not need any extra features.
I would go with the Panasonic (and in fact, I bought that very Panasonic). Panasonic has a reputation for being trouble free, and mine has been so far. You might also be interested in this:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=598063&postcount=3

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis