Blu-ray DVD player problem

P

Pryso

Audiophyte
I have a Panasonic which is about 10 years old. Following a recent long distance move (packed in original box) it happened that I only played a few regular DVDs before attempting to watch a Blu-ray disk. When I did I was surprised to see a message it could not read the disk, even though it had been viewed before on this machine.

So I tried a couple more Blu-rays but again received message they could not be read. I began shopping for a replacement but decided to try one more time. Again loading different disks I initially got the same read failure. I also noticed the read time was longer than I remembered from when it was working. Then with one disk after seeing the same message I reloaded it. This time it began playing but did exhibit some pixilation.

The deck still plays regular DVDs normally but fails with Blu-rays. I don't know enough about them to understand if the reading mechanism for Blu-rays is separate from the standard laser reader? I assume there is nothing to reset on the Panasonic itself?

Because of the age of the deck I expect the only reasonable answer is to replace it rather than try for a repair?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I have a LG player it won't read blu-ray disc but will play DVD and music CD,s. I found only one blu-ray it will play a older one I have but won't play any newer blu-ray disc. Dam the bad luck.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
DVDs and blurays don't use the same lasers in the player. I suspect there is nothing you can do but replace the player....a reset to factory settings wouldn't hurt, tho (if it has such).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Panasonic which is about 10 years old. Following a recent long distance move (packed in original box) it happened that I only played a few regular DVDs before attempting to watch a Blu-ray disk. When I did I was surprised to see a message it could not read the disk, even though it had been viewed before on this machine.

So I tried a couple more Blu-rays but again received message they could not be read. I began shopping for a replacement but decided to try one more time. Again loading different disks I initially got the same read failure. I also noticed the read time was longer than I remembered from when it was working. Then with one disk after seeing the same message I reloaded it. This time it began playing but did exhibit some pixilation.

The deck still plays regular DVDs normally but fails with Blu-rays. I don't know enough about them to understand if the reading mechanism for Blu-rays is separate from the standard laser reader? I assume there is nothing to reset on the Panasonic itself?

Because of the age of the deck I expect the only reasonable answer is to replace it rather than try for a repair?
The move has got the Blue laser that reads BD discs out of alignment. You will have to send it in for service or replace it.

P

Pryso

Audiophyte
The move has got the Blue laser that reads BD discs out of alignment. You will have to send it in for service or replace it.
Thanks. I wondered if there might be two reads and possible shock damage from the move? That was why I included that information.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis