Blown capacitor in crossover - Help identify a replacement

R

RemySoHo

Audiophyte
Hi All, newbie trying to replace a blown capacitor to get my crossover working. The capacitor is marked 2.0k 100v MET CH. I can't find this exact model and am looking for help identifying a suitable replacement. Can anyone here help me? Thank you in advance!

1624154008004.jpeg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi All, newbie trying to replace a blown capacitor to get my crossover working. The capacitor is marked 2.0k 100v MET CH. I can't find this exact model and am looking for help identifying a suitable replacement. Can anyone here help me? Thank you in advance!

View attachment 48652
Can't help you until we know the mfd. spec of the cap.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Some digging revealed that the K usually implies picofarads, so 2000 picofarads or 2 nanofarads or .002 microfarads.
Sounds strange. I can't imagine a cap of that value being of any use at all in a loudspeaker crossover. Also the cap would not be that big for a cap of that value. Something does not add up.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds strange. I can't imagine a cap of that value being of any use at all in a loudspeaker crossover. Also the cap would not be that big for a cap of that value. Something does not add up.
Yes, that cap does not look typical for a crossover but we don't know the brand or model. ???

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Your cap is marked 2.0K, but the capacitance units are not marked. So I can only guess that it's 2.0 µF (micro Farads) because any other unit, such as 2.0 mF (milli Farads) or 2.0 pF (pico Farads), simply don't make sense for an audio crossover.

The letter K stands for ±10% tolerance, meaning that the cap could be any value from 1.8 to 2.2.
Common tolerances for caps are ±5% (J), ±10% (K), and ±20% (M).

The 100V is a failure rating – exposure to 100V for a prolonged time will cause the cap to fail. I don't know what made your cap burn a hole like that. But I'd suggest you try getting this 2.0 µF cap rated at 250VDC. For $1.73 each, try it and see if it works.
This cap is 13 mm diameter × 31 mm long. What is the length & diameter of the cap in your photo?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis