K

Kyle Braunlich

Junior Audioholic
If my receiver does not put out the wattage that my speaker is rated for. Is there a chance it could blow.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If my receiver does not put out the wattage that my speaker is rated for. Is there a chance it could blow.
There is always a chance a speaker could blow. However speakers are almost always blown by too much power and not too little.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One way to avoid damage is if it starts to sound bad as you turn it up.....stop turning it up. Max continuous power ratings aren't all that useful, often just where they'll fail. Keep in mind your amp can exceed it's rated power at the rated distortion level (the distortion level and power keep going up to an extent past that point).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The rated wattage of the speaker is not the required power for that speaker. Rarely will those be the same number.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome.

As others have stated. Also, you may misunderstand the speaker's rated power, amp power and power delivered during normal operation of a speaker.

Most of the time speakers will use a few Watts. Peak levels will need more. And what frequency is being played for those peaks. Tweeters need little power to sound loud and most tweeters are only rated at about 10 Watts or less.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis