Blocking robo calls

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Swerd, Just about ever week I get sometimes 3 or 4 a day! I must have over 100 block calls. It’s very aggravating indeed. Most are for student loans goes on saying “you can settle your student loan debt. Just recently I got a text for decal cover for Dr Pepper to cover my car and they would pay me $300 a week for eight weeks it’s a scam. Even got a check in the mail for $1999. Say to Deposit it take out $300 and I was to email as soon as I did and forward the rest so they could pay the decal installer. Totally a scam it made the News on local TV down here.

Mike

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I own my business so I deal with it on my cell and my business line. I watch the screen and look for obvious signs it's a robo or scam call. Area codes I don't recognize...I ignore. They will leave a message if it's legit. A pain, but cuts out 75% of the calls.

One I hate is some dickweed buying a google listing list from google then hitting me with a robo call saying my listing needs updating. No it doesn't. They just want to sell me crap I don't want to buy.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I try to stay on the line long enough to get to a human (man or woman) and then all I want to know is what they are wearing.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Swerd, Just about ever week I get sometimes 3 or 4 a day! I must have over 100 block calls. It’s very aggravating indeed. Most are for student loans goes on saying “you can settle your student loan debt. Just recently I got a text for decal cover for Dr Pepper to cover my car and they would pay me $300 a week for eight weeks it’s a scam. Even got a check in the mail for $1999. Say to Deposit it take out $300 and I was to email as soon as I did and forward the rest so they could pay the decal installer. Totally a scam it made the News on local TV down here.

Mike
In Canada, we have the Canadian Radio & Television Communications, an administrative tribunal that regulates and supervises broadcasting and telecommunications in the public interest. Every Canadian citizen 18 and over can request to have their phone number added to an exclusion list that forbids businesses to solicit them. Only groups that do surveys are allowed to call and it's rather easy either to refuse answering questions and block them on your phone from future calls.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In Canada, we have the Canadian Radio & Television Communications, an administrative tribunal that regulates and supervises broadcasting and telecommunications in the public interest. Every Canadian citizen 18 and over can request to be added to an exclusion list that forbids businesses to solicit them. Only groups that do surveys are allowed to call and it's rather easy either to refuse answering questions and block them on your phone from future calls.
In the US we used to have something similar. It was the National Do Not Call registry. If you put your phone number on it, no commercial business could call you to make a sales pitch. Until recently this worked well because it was enforced. Unfortunately, non-profits and political fund raisers were not included.

In the past several years, any enforcement of this has been neglected. I blame the GOP-controlled Congress. Now I get unwanted political fund raisers, commercial sales pitches, both robo and manual, as well as fraudsters, such as those posing as the IRS. I get about 10 such calls each day and it has become intolerable.

The other day I noticed the NoMoRobo web site, and I wonder if it's for real, or yet another scam. Does anyone know?

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
In the US we used to have something similar. It was the National Do Not Call registry. If you put your phone number on it, no commercial business could call you to make a sales pitch. Until recently this worked well because it was enforced. Unfortunately, non-profits and political fund raisers were not included.

In the past several years, any enforcement of this has been neglected. I blame the GOP-controlled Congress. Now I get unwanted political fund raisers, commercial sales pitches, both robo and manual, as well as fraudsters, such as those posing as the IRS. I get about 10 such calls each day and it has become intolerable.

The other day I noticed the NoMoRobo web site, and I wonder if it's for real, or yet another scam. Does anyone know?
The Do Not Call list in the US is still active. However, with the technology to make the incoming phone call look like it's coming from down the street instead of a scam center in India, the list is worthless as it can't be tracked back.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
At one time a favorite reply was, "I'm in the middle of planning my mother's funeral, give me your number and I'll call you right back".

Another fave for female callers was, "Ah Jesus, I'm in the middle of having sex with my wife. Can you ..." Click.

That national registry has become a joke, especially in the last 5 years. And they don't think twice about calling as late as 9 at night.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
OK, I'm ready. I just signed up with Nomorobo. They say they block robocalls on your landline VoIP phone. A robocall will ring my phone one time and then is blocked. Other unwanted non-robocalls still get through.

There is a charge for doing the same for mobile phones. So far, I've done only the VoIP landline. I did it just before 6 pm, and I've already gotten one call where it rang once and stopped ringing. In a few days I'll report back how well it works.

Last edited:
Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
In Canada, we have the Canadian Radio & Television Communications, an administrative tribunal that regulates and supervises broadcasting and telecommunications in the public interest. Every Canadian citizen 18 and over can request to have their phone number added to an exclusion list that forbids businesses to solicit them. Only groups that do surveys are allowed to call and it's rather easy either to refuse answering questions and block them on your phone from future calls.
Same / similar everywhere. You have to understand that a scammer doesn't care about such things, and most of the time they are not even calling from the same country.

Here is what they do:

They get a software-based telephone app, which allows you to choose your own number, area code, country code.

They spoof the originating number; what you see on Call Display is not the actual caller's number.

If they want to appear local (same area code as you, or same State / Province / etc area code) they search phone databases for un-assigned numbers. Then they use that as the displayed number, so you think it's coming from you area. It isn't.

If you complain to your Teleco, there is nothing they can do because the number is not assigned to anyone. As far as they know no-one is using it.

They often call from outside the US / Canada / wherever. For a long time calls have been originating from various Carribbean countries where labour is cheap and they are phoning long distance via the internet ... in other words no long distance charges.

They are based in those countries because the industry started there, when they were assigned an 809 area code, which North Americans often assumed was a Toll-Free call from a business. So that's were they set up shop as the various techniques have evolved, they still operate from there.

Regulators are powerless to stop them; they aren't in the same country, they don't abide by the rules anyway, and they are untraceable. Some have been known to sign up as a caller with the "Do Not Call" registries. When you do this you get a list of numbers not to call. They don't call from that country, instead they pass the list off to the off-shore calling centre. And then they call them; names and working numbers helpfully provided by the regulator.

That is why you sometimes hear complaints that someone is getting more junk calls *after* they signed up on the Do Not Call list.

Beware, some 8xx / 9xx area code numbers are used for "pay by the minute" services. Your local phone company collects on their behalf. Watch your bill.

5 and 6-digit SMS messages

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Same / similar everywhere. You have to understand that a scammer doesn't care about such things, and most of the time they are not even calling from the same country.

Here is what they do:

They get a software-based telephone app, which allows you to choose your own number, area code, country code.

They spoof the originating number; what you see on Call Display is not the actual caller's number.

If they want to appear local (same area code as you, or same State / Province / etc area code) they search phone databases for un-assigned numbers. Then they use that as the displayed number, so you think it's coming from you area. It isn't.

If you complain to your Teleco, there is nothing they can do because the number is not assigned to anyone. As far as they know no-one is using it.

They often call from outside the US / Canada / wherever. For a long time calls have been originating from various Carribbean countries where labour is cheap and they are phoning long distance via the internet ... in other words no long distance charges.

Regulators are powerless to stop them; they aren't in the same country, they don't abide by the rules anyway, and they are untraceable. Some have been known to sign up as a caller with the "Do Not Call" registries. When you do this you get a list of numbers not to call. They don't call from that country, instead they pass the list off to the off-shore calling centre. And then they call them; names and working numbers helpfully provided by the regulator.

That is why you sometimes hear complaints that someone is getting more junk calls *after* they signed up on the Do Not Call list.
Then the only solution seems to not answering calls from numbers you are not familiar with showing on the caller's display. This is what I do. If a call is really important and worthwile, the caller will leave a message anyway. In most cases, the scammer doesn't leave a message.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Then the only solution seems to not answering calls from numbers you are not familiar with showing on the caller's display. This what I do. If a call is really important and worthwile, the caller will leave a message anyway. In most cases, the scammer doesn't leave a message.
Unless they feel oddly compelled to tell Alex what they're wearing.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Then the only solution seems to not answering calls from numbers you are not familiar with showing on the caller's display. This what I do. If a call is really important and worthwile, the caller will leave a message anyway. In most cases, the scammer doesn't leave a message.
You can check numbers that are not spoofed via the website: Who Called Me dotcom

I put the numbers in my phone's address book under the name Scam Telemarketer. I have no idea how many numbers it can store ... I have hundreds in that one address book entry and no signs that it's running out of space.

But if they call a second or more times from the same number, and some of them do, it comes up "Scam Telemarketer" in the Call Display.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I moved I just kept my old cell number (gave up land lines long ago, as the cell alone is just fine). Maybe two years ago I started getting calls from some cleaning service that used that trick of fake phone numbers for the ID, which I noticed as the number changed but the message did not. Now they not only come from the old area code but also the prefix/exchange number I have, which makes it even easier to spot (I only knew one person with the same prefix). I had tried to file with the no call registry initially where they had info about these changing numbers which they couldn't do anything about. Works for me but I'd probably go crazy if I had a number with our area code (and almost everyone in town has the same prefix/exchange). Sucks, but that's technology.

I always liked this Seinfeld episode when they were human telemarketers

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Nomorobo appears legit. How it works on landlines:
https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200057136-Nomorobo-Landline

How does it work?
  • Nomorobo for landlines uses a feature known as "Simultaneous Ring". When simultaneous ring is enabled, your phone will ring on more than one number at the same time. The first device to pick it up gets the call and the other phones stop ringing.
  • So, when the Nomorobo number is enabled as a simultaneous ring number it is the first number to screen the call. If it’s a legitimate call, the call goes through to your number. If the call is an illegal robocaller, Nomorobo intercepts the call and hangs up for you. Your phone will ring once letting you know that the robocall has been answered and stopped.
How does it know which calls to block?
  • Nomorobo utilizes a database of known, illegal robocallers, that we've compiled with the help of the FTC, user reports, and our own honey traps. The blacklist contains over 650,000 robocallers and grows every single day.
  • If a call gets a match in our database, we grab the call. If there's no match, we let the call go through.
  • We also maintain a growing whitelist of numbers we will never block.
Nomorobo Landline service is free for consumers. Businesses and public safety organizations pay to license it. For consumers, robocalls are annoying. But, for businesses it costs them real money. And, for EMS systems (like 911), it could be a matter of life and death. These are the people that don't mind paying for the service and using it directly in their telephone equipment.

For mobile phones:
https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200533459-Nomorobo-Mobile
Nomorobo Mobile is subscription based. After a 2 week FREE trial, the subscription costs $1.99/month or $19.99/year.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So far, after roughly 3 days, Nomorobo is blocking about 60% of unwanted calls or calls from unidentified callers. I have to assume the other ~40% of unwanted calls are political or non-profit fundraisers. I still ignore them, but now there aren't so many each day. I think I like it.

I recommend it for anyone with a landline who is besieged with unwanted robocalls.
https://www.nomorobo.com/signup

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Swerd, sorry I didn't see and reply sooner. Had the same problem with my cellphone, and ended up choosing RoboKiller. Seems it's similar to NoMoRobo with maybe a couple differences. It also uses the database of known spam numbers to block, and updates as each user identifies a number as spam.

It will let you block every call from a number NOT in your contact list. (Since we use our landline for ALL business stuff, there is no reason for anyone not in my contact list to even have my cell number.)

It has a library of prerecorded messages, or you can record you own, for these spammers to hear when they call. Some are quite funny. I use one that sounds just like the phone company's message when you call an invalid number... "Beep beep beep... The number you have called has been disconnected. Please check your number and dial again..." Then it records anything said by the caller.

I get a beep/message telling me I had a call. I can see the calling number and listen to any message they left. I can also choose to keep blocking or allow that number. It's quite flexible, and could be fun with one of their funny messages.

I'm happy and satisfied with it. But I know Kim Kommando likes NoMoRobo, and she's pretty good.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
When I moved I just kept my old cell number (gave up land lines long ago, as the cell alone is just fine). Maybe two years ago I started getting calls from some cleaning service that used that trick of fake phone numbers for the ID, which I noticed as the number changed but the message did not. Now they not only come from the old area code but also the prefix/exchange number I have, which makes it even easier to spot (I only knew one person with the same prefix). I had tried to file with the no call registry initially where they had info about these changing numbers which they couldn't do anything about. Works for me but I'd probably go crazy if I had a number with our area code (and almost everyone in town has the same prefix/exchange). Sucks, but that's technology.

I always liked this Seinfeld episode when they were human telemarketers
Probably the *best* telemarketer prank of all time.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Just on this phone alone well over 200 hundred blocked. Still counting not to mention the spoofed emails addresses.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis