Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Does anyone have a brand of blackout curtains that you recommend? 100% blackout is the goal.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I bought some cheap ones off Amazon... work well... Also have some from Bed Bath &Beyond from several years ago which work too.
I would start with a good Blackout Blind, though. Its very simple to order them through Lowes, for example. I have done this with Bali Blinds.
Realatively easy to install, and if you get a good fit, the Blinds plus some curtains will give you excellent insulation and darkness.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also bought a couple sets of cheap blackout curtains for bedrooms on Amazon and they work a lot better than I thought they would. I was prepared to move to blinds but haven't found it necessary....

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
+1 for Amazon. I've got a pair for each of two sliding glass doors, and a pair of 8ft tall ones and they turn day into night no problem!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I went with Sun Zero. 100% blackout. They should be here Tuesday.51BE67E9-60FA-4BD0-BD96-DD3F8BC6C1A2.jpegThanks

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Guys I need real technical advice. I installed the curtains and rod. So solid I could do pull ups on the rod!

However, I opted to change the rod and raise it a few inches. (Brilliant I know)

New curtain rod required larger pilot holes for the grommets. Three of the six holes the grommets barely held.

Should I put a larger screw in the existing grommets? Or start from scratch and re-install moving the brackets?

Literally kicking myself for not leaving well enough alone.

Thanks.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Guys I need real technical advice. I installed the curtains and rod. So solid I could do pull ups on the rod!

However, I opted to change the rod and raise it a few inches. (Brilliant I know)

New curtain rod required larger pilot holes for the grommets. Three of the six holes the grommets barely held.

Should I put a larger screw in the existing grommets? Or start from scratch and re-install moving the brackets?

Literally kicking myself for not leaving well enough alone.

Thanks.
Yes, you should. ;)
it sounds like you missed all the studs and perhaps the header/s above the window.
Grommets? Or sheetrock anchors? Picture of that?
You may need to install wing anchors that open up after you push it into the designated hole size and tightens it up.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Grommets are the silver rings that the curtain rod goes through.

I'm trying to imagine what is happening and guessing that the framing of the window is similar to the image below. The prefab window assembly gets inserted into the framed hole for the window. I'd guess that your first mounting attached to the solid wood header above the window and you second mount went above it so you are only attaching to sheet rock unless you got lucky and hit one of the vertical studs..

With the right hardware, sheet rock attachment can be sturdy enough for curtains:
These are good for 80 pounds in 5/8" sheetrock, but don't do pull-ups with them! If you think about your rod bracket and if you pull down where the rod sits, you have a leverage situation not to far from pulling out a nail with a hammer! Using typical dimensions, If it is 2" from the upper wall screw to the bottom of the bracket and 4" from the wall out to where the rod sits, twice the force of the weight of the curtains and rod is applied at that upper wall screw! So the 80 pound strength of the anchor is met with 40 pounds worth of weight of curtain and rod. Unless you are using weighted curtains, you should be good! (however, if you go to HD or Lowes, you will see several anchors rated above 80 pounds).

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Yes, anchors not grommets(insert head slap)

Mtrycrafts and Kew, you hit the nail on the head.

the picture is great. I originally went five inches above and outside of the window.

time to break out the stud finder.
these days I might be good For one pullup

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I'm trying to imagine what is happening and guessing that the framing of the window is similar to the image below. The prefab window assembly gets inserted into the framed hole for the window. I'd guess that your first mounting attached to the solid wood header above the window and you second mount went above it so you are only attaching to sheet rock unless you got lucky and hit one of the vertical studs..

...]
That's an interesting design of staggered stud construction

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Mission Complete! Purchased larger anchors, moved one bracket two inches to utilize the stud, no anchor needed.
Thanks guys.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis