Black Max Speakers?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm trying to figure out the drivers on the 30. What is just above the woofer?
What is the complement of drivers in your 50?
So here is a real post for you to respond to, but you skipped over it!:(
Did you come here to discuss the speakers or not?:confused:
Forget the people and egos, let's talk audio!!!:)

PS - I think you can post pics now (after 5 posts?):cool:

Thanks!

A

andyville99

Audiophyte
Hey KEW,

I no longer have the brochure that gives the exact description of the B50's, and the entire speaker is wrapped top to bottom (except for the very top which is a 1" thick cherry top), front/back/sides with a contiguous piece of grill cloth, so it's impossible to expose the speakers by taking off the front grill, as on the B30's.

They are 50" or so tall, and about 11-12" square - I'd guess each weighs 70+ lbs. It takes 2 people to carry one - I know that!

From what I remember they were five-way speakers:
- some special kind of tweeter (seems like there were actually 2 - a super high frequency, and a medium-high frequency)
- a front mid-range
- a rear-firing mid-range (I believe about 5" each)
- an 8 or 10" active woofer
- then a separate 8 or 10" passive woofer, driven by the waves via a port from the active woofer, and the passive one is also ported to rear. I initially thought that sounded like a goofy design and that it would muddy the bass, but not at all. The bass is very rich and full, but not boomy. I remember listening to Cerwin Vegas, which were popular at the time, but my recollection was that they were overly bassy and boomy. And some other speakers I've compared them to have a thin, overly tight sounding bass (like the other big JVC speakers I have). These hit the perfect middle ground, at least for my taste.

I'm at work but I'll check them out again tonight and see what I can tell just by feeling the drivers thru the cloth. Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks.
I'm especially curious about what is just above the woofer (on the left side). If it is a driver, it has a strange "grill" on it!

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i find it hard to believe that the grills do not come off.

A

andyville99

Audiophyte
KEW,

I checked them out when I got home tonight. Each speaker has a 1.5" tweeter, a 5" front firing mid, a 5" rear-firing mid, a 10" active woofer, and a 10" passive woofer (both front-firing). I was incorrect in my post above - the passive woofer is not rear-ported, just the mid. The active woofer has a U-shaped port to the passive woofer, if I remember correctly.

There's no other weird star-shaped driver like the B30's in the photos above.

And, Just-some-guy, in response to your post, there are really no "grilles" on these speakers - the entire enclosure is wrapped all the way around with seamless grille cloth. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll take pics and see if it will allow me to post them.

And, I measured - they are exactly 50" tall, and 12" square.

Thanks,
Andy

A

andyville99

Audiophyte
KEW,

I posted some photos on a separate thread earlier today - fyi...

Thanks,
Andy

T

Treadlight

Audiophyte
I bought a pair of these (B50) in the late 70's and I still have mine as well. They aren't bad speakers but I've heard better over the years. I've never been all that crazy about their low end.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Fact of the matter is, that many of the "crappy" speakers of the '70s etc., were pinpoint engineered to do the best that could be done with the substandard pop/rock recordings of the times. The Japanese had it figured right down to the penny and managed to find a market of previously unwitting audiophiles in the process.

Sure, these designs are 'technically' inferior, but those with superior speakers had no friends over on party night. Why? Because the superior speakers were way too revealing for popular music, and their users were moved on to superior music that nobody else really listened to. Even today, when we see speaker reviews above most common people's pay grades, the subjective performance will typically be based on some wildly eccentric music that really tells nothing to anyone outside of that relatively odd realm.

Fast forward some decades and we now have a glut of well engineered/measured speakers and people will in turn, install them into the most sterile, acoustically unfriendly rooms, that leave these designs having to be crutched by a fortune in room treatments and room corrective software, that tries to artificially put the furniture and cozy, random clutter back in. As before, these special environments go mostly unused and the crowd ends up where they can put their feet up without being corralled into some centrally located, grouped together sweet spot like drones.

Me, I like both types for what they do well, but it leaves me wanting multiple designs for different purposes, some of which are of questionable quality.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis