Black hole of vinyl is pulling me in.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I just now wish I could get some vinyl that I could play all theway through without distracting pops
We need to invent something that puts pops into MP3s and sell it to Hipsters ... retro.

I've got some records that I really like despite the occasional pop. I might have 75 LPs that I paid a buck a piece for and my first 3 DVD-As were $75. I love 'em both but for different reasons.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
We need to invent something that puts pops into MP3s and sell it to Hipsters ... retro.
That's not a bad idea :). Add digital versions of pops, clicks, and the general background noise of a stylus running in a vinyl grove, onto MP3 recordings. You should patent that idea right now before someone else starts selling it.

The only problem with that is the hipsters don't choose turntables and vinyl records because of sound qualities. They do it to be fashionable. The retro ritual, inconvenience, and added expense of vinyl playback is seen itself as a virtue compared to the non-retro and non-hip MP3 on a smartphone. I don't get it at all. The same people would never use old school landline telephones instead of their smartphones.

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
That's not a bad idea :). Add digital versions of pops, clicks, and the general background noise of a stylus running in a vinyl grove, onto MP3 recordings. You should patent that idea right now before someone else starts selling it.

The only problem with that is the hipsters don't choose turntables and vinyl records because of sound qualities. They do it to be fashionable. The retro ritual, inconvenience, and added expense of vinyl playback is seen itself as a virtue compared to the non-retro and non-hip MP3 on a smartphone. I don't get it at all. The same people would never use old school landline telephones instead of their smartphones.
A lot of EDM I listen too has vinyl scratch and pop in it

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
A lot of EDM I listen too has vinyl scratch and pop in it
I just listened to Nora Jones on Vinyl and Beatles Sargent Peppers on Vinyl way better than any digital format and I have them on WAV file also

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Definitely not crazy...but I raise my caution flag when someone says LPs sound better than CDs or visa versa.

There is an undeniable "sound" to vinyl that makes it different from digital, but that's where I stop...different.

I was about to hit "like" for this post but then I read this!

I sold my LP collection before I ever had a really good turntable so I've long decided that digit is my format and even with the resurgence in vinyl production, I'm pretty comfortable still today with that decision
You NEVER sell a collection. :eek:

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well said,:)
And I'll add FM radio for a 3rd perspective could be either analog or digital delivered over the airwaves and basically free!
Dave
I have a tuner, seldom used, except occasionally I listen to "talk radio", mostly AM. Recently, I added the iHeart Radio App to my iPhone and using it to airplay from my home theatre system, music from familiar broadcasters, both AM and FM sounds soooo much better than listening to those broadcasts from my tuner.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I have a tuner, seldom used, except occasionally I listen to "talk radio", mostly AM. Recently, I added the iHeart Radio App to my iPhone and using it to airplay from my home theatre system, music from familiar broadcasters, both AM and FM sounds soooo much better than listening to those broadcasts from my tuner.
Good to know. Thanks
Dave

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis