N

ned

Full Audioholic
If I attached Speaker A and B out from my RXV 2400 to my mains RBH 661 LSE (jumpers removed), does it mean I'm supplying 200 watts of power? Thanks.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
No, you are confusing biwiring with biamping.

For more info on biwiring please refer to the past thread discussions:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/search.php?searchid=279133

Regarding Biamping:
There are some benefits if you are biamping with identical amps in the system. By doing so, you are now driving the speaker system with dedicated amplifiers for the High Pass (HP) and Low Pass (LP) portions. This may help in bass response, dynamics, and overall fidelity. Another benefit is electrical isolation between highs and lows of the speaker system as they are independently connected to separate amplifiers. This has the potential to reduce crosstalk and mutual inductance, assuming the chokes in the crossovers are isolated and the speaker cables are well separated from each other. There also appears to be a benefit in passive biamping of amplifiers with finite output impedance such as those found in receivers. Having a dedicated amp to drive the woofer portion and another to drive the mid/tweeters can offer a better degree of system control and linearity assuming the power supply is capable of delivering the rated power into all four channels. In most cases however, very little power is consumed in the HP portion of the speaker since music above 8kHz in harmonic in nature with very little energy. However, if you amp is already beefy and accommodates your speakers and room and listening environment, than stay with what you have. Most audible differences are subtle if at all noticeable. The true benefits of bi-amping cannot be realized with passive crossover networks of a speaker system. Bi-amping truly shines when parts of the passive network of the speaker system is replaced by active networks where each amplifier is bandwith limited at the input.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis