billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I've got a bit of a different issue. I've got an older Sherwood amplifier, not sure how old but I believe it's pre-DTS. I've always run everything as bitstream because it has always worked better (better sound, better surround). I just got a LCD tv so I borrowed my father-in-law's Bluray player. It's audio options were Auto and 2chPCM. Auto still put out PCM so I don't know why it was there. At certain points throughout the movie it would make loud popping noises. I turned the volume way down and it would still make it so I know it wasn't my speakers. My only guess is that my receiver can't handle PCM for whatever reason. The BD is connectedby HDMI to the TV and an optical cable goes from the TV to the receiver. When I listened to the movie through the TV there were no issues.
Hdmi from BDP to the display will work fine, but your digital connection should go from the player to the receiver and not the display. Also remember to allocate which source is in digital when connecting the cable to your AVR.

Regards, Bill:)

captiankirk28

Full Audioholic
My name is Lenin,... and recently I have realized my BD/ DVD player is able to output bitstream or PCM audio signals? What selection do you recommed to get the best sound quality in stereo & 7.1 multichannel? Why? My receiver is able to take both...via HDMI or optical digital...

Appreciate any help you can provide...

Regards
Hi, some people say that the sound is fairly close but i like it better when my reciver is getting the bitstream and doing the reading it self. So send the over from your BD player in bitstream.

T

timplett

Audiophyte
I see what you're saying, but my DVD player is also running HDMI into the TV then through the optical from the TV to the receiver. It is set to bitstream and my receiver functions perfectly.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
How about on a HTPC for bitstream?

On my sound card settings I see that I could choose PCM and AC3 (if i remember / I am at work) and I do-not see BitStream setting offered.

I have this sound card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829126005

maybe I need a better sound card? :D:confused:
AC3 is the lossy audio codec used by Dolby digital 5.1

It looks to me as of that sound card does the decoding. I can't see where it allows it to transmit a bit stream for external decoding in the specification. What are you going to hook the card up to?

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
AC3 is the lossy audio codec used by Dolby digital 5.1

It looks to me as of that sound card does the decoding. I can't see where it allows it to transmit a bit stream for external decoding in the specification. What are you going to hook the card up to?
I am using the SPDIF on it (optical) hooked to my Yamaha receiver (5.1)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am using the SPDIF on it (optical) hooked to my Yamaha receiver (5.1)
Try outputting the AC3 and see if the Yamaha recognizes it as discrete 5.1 when playing a 5.1 DVD.

If not try PCM and see what the Yamaha shows.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How about on a HTPC for bitstream?

On my sound card settings I see that I could choose PCM and AC3 (if i remember / I am at work) and I do-not see BitStream setting offered.

I have this sound card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829126005

maybe I need a better sound card? :D:confused:
I have a HP laptop that I use for HTPC.

I use PowerDVD 8, and set the audio output to AC3/DTS Pass-Thru, which is the same as bitstream. On my receiver, it displays Dolby Digital or DTS Surround accordingly.

K

khmerog

Audiophyte
Bottom line is:

setup: watching Bring it On - Uncut Edition DVD on DVD player hooked up to your 5.1 reciever. :cool:

If you want your reciever to decode the audio (DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1, etc.)then set your audio output on DVD player setup screen to RAW/Bitstream.

If you want your DVD player to decode the audio and have your reciever recieve the encoded audio then set your audio output on DVD player setup screen to PCM/LPCM.

This is best hooked-up using a digital cable (digital coaxial cable or toslink optical). Make sure you set your reciever for the DVD player input from Analog to Digital.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis