Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
S

Stealth21

Audiophyte
Hello, so I have the Sony STRDN 1080 receiver

I was wondering which options is going to sound the best if I'm connecting it to my PS4

1. PS4- Bitstream DTS
Samsung Tv- Bitstream

2. PS4- Bitstream DTS
Samsung Tv - PCM

3. Ps4- Linear PCM
Samsung Tv - Bitstream

4. PS4 - Linear PCM
Samsung Tv- PCM

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
They’ll sound the same. One is decoded at the source(bd player, stb etc), and one is decoded at the AVR.
FWIW, Atmos only works if bitstreaming.

S

Stealth21

Audiophyte
They’ll sound the same. One is decoded at the source(bd player, stb etc), and one is decoded at the AVR.
FWIW, Atmos only works if bitstreaming.
I tried watching netflix from the Samsung TV app but it sounds way better there compared to the from ps4

Idk how to get that same sound quality in the ps4

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I tried watching netflix from the Samsung TV app but it sounds way better there compared to the from ps4

Idk how to get that same sound quality in the ps4
Not all Netflix apps have the same capabilities. What sounded better about the tv app? Were they at the same volume to compare?

S

Stealth21

Audiophyte
Not all Netflix apps have the same capabilities. What sounded better about the tv app? Were they at the same volume to compare?

So for Netflix on TV
the Digital Output Audio format can be change to Dolby Digital which is really amazing
but for PS4 the Digital Output Audio format setting is locked at PCM

so the only thing I could change in my Samsung Tv when connected to my ps4 is the HDMI input audio format
Setting 1. PCM
Setting 2. Bitstream

but on the ps4 itself there's 3 options
Linear PCM
Bitstream Dolby
Bitstream DTS

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On your Samsung is it Dolby Digital (DD) or Dolby Digital Plus (Dolby Digital + or DD+)? You connect your PS4 to the tv directly rather than the avr? Sounds like your PS4 Netflix app is stereo only?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
On your Samsung is it Dolby Digital (DD) or Dolby Digital Plus (Dolby Digital + or DD+)? You connect your PS4 to the tv directly rather than the avr? Sounds like your PS4 Netflix app is stereo only?
That’d be weird. My ps3 NF app is not that like that. I’m gonna try the premium service to see how I like their Atmos implementation. Mixed reviews...

S

Stealth21

Audiophyte

on the Samsung the DD is only allowed since my receiver is EARC not ARC
My ps4 is connected to my receiver then HDMI OUT ARC to TV

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
on the Samsung the DD is only allowed since my receiver is EARC not ARC
My ps4 is connected to my receiver then HDMI OUT ARC to TV
Why would eARC limit your use to DD? It should be capable of at least DD+ I'd think. Your avr manual shows both ARC/eARC capability. I'd bitstream from the PS4 to the avr in any case.

S

Stealth21

Audiophyte
Why would eARC limit your use to DD? It should be capable of at least DD+ I'd think. Your avr manual shows both ARC/eARC capability. I'd bitstream from the PS4 to the avr in any case.

That's why I'm confused too :( , like my receiver is EARC then my TV is ARC and tried to click on the DD+ it's locked

S

Stealth21

Audiophyte

My ps4 is connected to the receiver but no option of DD or DD+ in the audio output format

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My ps4 is connected to the receiver but no option of DD or DD+ in the audio output format
If you bitstream it will send the audio codec to your avr to decode....and shouldn't be limited to any particular codec.....

P

pinifinina

Junior Audioholic
Interesting topic, I was actually in your shoe before. According to the articles I've read, they all claim to set your source (e.g. blue-ray player or TV BOX) to bit-stream if possible. This means it sends the signal to the sound play device (e.g. receiver) to do the audio decoding and then play it to the speakers. If the source is set to PCM, then the source (e.g. blue-ray player) will do the decoding and then the decoded signal gets send to the receiver.

So in short answer, basically choose whether you want the player to do the decoding or the receiver. I suppose everyone will think the receiver should do a better job on audio decoding then the blueray player (including myself) as well as the people who wrote those articles, hence why, bitstream is always recommended. The only reason the articles I've read suggests set the blue-ray player to PCM is when you have an old receiver that cannot decode the audio content to the new format e.g. Dolby TRUE HD or DTS-HS Master, this assumes you have a newer blue-ray player that is capable decoding say Dolby TRUE HD or DTS-HS Master, then let the blue-ray player do the decoding.

HOWEVER, what I have found is very similar to you @Stealth21, I find PCM sounded louder than bit-stream and it sound more detailed and more open than bit stream...I don't know why... especially the center channel... Some movie I get very low volume on the center channel compare to the front and left channel. But when I set my blue-ray player to PMC, it sound great, the center channel volume is much more in line with the front left and right channel. This is after I have done the room correction calibration on my system.

Another note is if I set my player to bit-stream, my receiver will be "locked" to whatever the movie audio format is recorded e.g. if the movie is Dolby TRUE HD, then my receiver will display Dolby TRUE HD, it is locked, I can't change it. But if I set my player to PCM, I will gain a couple more choice on audio format, not that I am able switch between Dolby TRUE HD and DTS-HS Master, but sometimes my receiver's own own decoding format. I don't know why. So at the end, I decides to trust my ear, so I left it in PCM.

I would be interested to hear from other people if they experienced the same thing or not.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis