C

cyfman

Audioholic Intern
i'm still unclear about how they work.i've read the search results when i entered bipole.my question is i'm thinking about using one as my rear center in a 6.1 when the signal gets to a bipole does it come out both sides at once or does it go from one side to the other? the way my seating is the couch is about 2 feet from the back wall.the tv is about 9 feet from the listening area.i've tried all different placings of the tv but this works the best for us.i was thinking that a monoploe would maybe interfere with my fronts.sorry for the long post.but need some help and advice.thanks:

D

deftech

Junior Audioholic
Bi polar speakers have their front and rear drivers in phase, di polars are out of phase. Bi poles are meant to send both direct and reflected sound waves into a room. I have never heard of anyone using a bi polar rear center speaker. I have a 5.1 system and use bi poles for main fronts and rears. I like the way they perform.

C

cyfman

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the responce.i've read where some folks use bipoles as their surrounds in a 5.1 thats why i was wondering if they MIGHT work in a 6.1

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
A bipole center rear in a 6.1 setup should work better than a monopole, due to the rear-reversal phenomenon (I think thats what its called, someone can correct;) ) where the sound from a mono rear center could sound like it came from the front of the soundstage in some circumstances, this is part of why they moved to the 7.1 setup.

BTW, I have bipoles for all 4 surrounds and am happy with the sound field they create.

cheers:)

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
A Mirage Omnisat would work very well as a rear center channel. Its sound is something of a blend between a traditional foward radiator and a bipolar speaker.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Rear surround

deftech said:
Bi polar speakers have their front and rear drivers in phase, di polars are out of phase. Bi poles are meant to send both direct and reflected sound waves into a room. I have never heard of anyone using a bi polar rear center speaker. I have a 5.1 system and use bi poles for main fronts and rears. I like the way they perform.
You have bi pole speakers for your mains? That is unusual and is not recommended by the Dolby, DTS, or THX specifications.

To answer the the origional post, one of the audioholics refrence system had a bipole rear surround 6.1 system for a while so they would recommend that configuration.

C

cyfman

Audioholic Intern
Thanks For The Help And Input.i Have A Odd Room.there Is One Side That Is Open To The Dining Hall And The Other Side Has A Short Wall Then A Doorway To The Kitchen.if I Knew How To Put A Drawing In I Would To Give People A Better Idea Of How I'm Set Up Thanks Again.

C

cyfman

Audioholic Intern
Thanks For The Heads Up On The Omnisat's Sound Very Interesting.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis