F

FLMike

Audioholic
Been a while since I've been around but I'm looking to upgrade my existing 55" LCD display. Here is my question: Should I go for an OLED in the same size (looking at an LG B7a or C7) or a larger "LED" 65" X930E? 9 ft viewing distance, living room without a lot of off axis viewing, 4k viewing, sports, regular TV, with movie quality as a priority. The 9ft viewing is primary. But the TV can be watched from further away due to open floor plan. Have a comcast 4k box and 4k receiver, Blu Ray disk as well.

I have an existing Sony that does an incredibly shitty job of local dimming and has serious blooming issues with movies and horrible blacks/grays. So I'm really leaning towards the smaller OLED. But curious what others thoughts are on this, especially if you had to make a similar decision recently.

Thanks!

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Go bigger. You will need to sit close to see the extra detail in a 4K image. But go with OLED if possible.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Go bigger. You will need to sit close to see the extra detail in a 4K image. But go with OLED if possible.
Thanks Dawn! I went to Best Buy and did some careful looking after I posted this. I like the OLEDS but there are two issues: Cost and Light. Cost in that to go with OLED I'd need to stick with a 55" class. Second, the room this TV is in gets lots of light in the morning, so brightness is needed.

I ended up ordering the Sony 930E, 65". Got it on clearance for $1999 with free delivery. I researched it and it seems well reviewed and of course it looks great in store. It is edge lit, so it does exhibit some blooming with really bright objects against really dark backgrounds. But it's also super bright, so it looks great even in bright rooms. Fortunately off axis viewing is not an issue for me, although looking in store the off axis performance looked MUCH better than in reviews. And I can return for full credit within 2 weeks of delivery. So, I took part of your advice! Not being delivered until Wed, so if anyone wants to talk me out of it feel free!!!

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Where do you live?
Fort Lauderdale area. Found out one other datapoint that makes me happy about this choice. I get a lot of stuff via Comcast and the Sony processor apparently handles non 4k signals really well. Looking forward to seeing in person. So we will see!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis