Big room but only place for one sub

E

edben

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,
Ive been looking at the svs pc2000pro to fill and open space room about 14x24 with 17 feet cathedral ceiling.
Ive read that the pc2000 in audioholic recommendation had the big room mention

I am also considering the martin logan dynamo 1600x

its has to be downfiring since i get best result in my room with downfiring in right corner

speakers i have are 2 paradigm prestige 15b
One prestige 55c center speaker

Note that im not able to get rythmic at my location...

thanks

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
That's a very large amount of Volume to fill. JMO a single PB-2000 Pro isn't going to perform in that environment.

E

edben

Audiophyte
That's a very large amount of Volume to fill. JMO a single PB-2000 Pro isn't going to perform in that environment.
Could a pc4000 perform?
Or maybe the martin login dynamo 1600x ?
its realy needs to be able To be downfiring
Thanks

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You keep mentioning that Martin Logan. Just because it has a fancy name doesn't make it perform. It's over-priced for its performance anyway

Your room is 5712 ft³

You need two PB-4000's or PC-4000's
Or

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have anything in place now? I think a pc4k would be pretty good. You can try for free so why not!!! FWIW, downfiring won’t matter.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems like a big space to be limited to one location. Can always move furniture/family....

So how does the downfiring thing work well....it excites your floor to help out?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Seems like a big space to be limited to one location. Can always move furniture/family....

So how does the downfiring thing work well....it excites your floor to help out?
I’m curious as well. In my room I’ve measured my PCs laying down and standing up as well as other down/front firing subs and it’s hasn’t mattered at all.
I’m on concrete fwiw.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I’m curious as well. In my room I’ve measured my PCs laying down and standing up as well as other down/front firing subs and it’s hasn’t mattered at all.
You just like the Phallic shape. Maybe that's why the OP likes it too.

E

edben

Audiophyte
I have the space for only one because its not a dedicated room.
Downfiring because from my mesurement with rew with my curent sub, response is flater on certain frequencys when floor loaded ( concrete floor )
Ps. I mention martin logan because Audioholic review them and where good i actualy never listen to them and i dont know that brand very well.
thanks

E

edben

Audiophyte
precision:
If i go front firing, i was considering pb3000 Or the paradigm defiance x15/x12
I dont realy care for frequency under 20hz since anyways in my room i would need something like a JTR sub to actually get good sub 20 response
So im realy looking for sub that can deliver good bass in the 25 to 80hz
I use a mini dsp to cut frequensys below 22hz
Thanks

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
No space??? There's always space especially with the cathedral ceiling you've got. Get a couple of In ceiling subwoofers and put them in your ceiling. Boom boom boom straight from the sky! God's hand will thump the skull (Boom shakalaka)....Do it and make the most of it until the wife banishes you into the basement.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
The Martin Logan 1600x is a very good sealed sub so that depends on how cheap you can get it. What's the price you can swing it?

At full price I'd rather get the higher end ported SVS, HSU, Rythmik, whatever. I would swing higher than a SVS PC or PB 2000 though if you can do it. They are sound but not overpowering. Granted room placement really defines how effective subs are unfortunately and you just hope that one spot you have will perform well.

E

edben

Audiophyte
The Martin Logan 1600x is a very good sealed sub so that depends on how cheap you can get it. What's the price you can swing it?

At full price I'd rather get the higher end ported SVS, HSU, Rythmik, whatever. I would swing higher than a SVS PC or PB 2000 though if you can do it. They are sound but not overpowering. Granted room placement really defines how effective subs are unfortunately and you just hope that one spot you have will perform well.
Yes well this spot is the sweat spot
i can get the martin for 1800$
I can get the paradigm x15 for 1800
Svs pb 3000 for 2050$

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes well this spot is the sweat spot
i can get the martin for 1800$
I can get the paradigm x15 for 1800
Svs pb 3000 for 2050$
I like the ML Dynamo 1600, but it won't have the low-end heft of the Paradigm X15 or SVS PB-3000. As for the PB-3000 and Paradigm X15, the SVS will dig a bit deeper, and the Paradigm will have a bit more mid-bass punch. They are both terrific subwoofers, and you can't go wrong with either one.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I like the ML Dynamo 1600, but it won't have the low-end heft of the Paradigm X15 or SVS PB-3000. As for the PB-3000 and Paradigm X15, the SVS will dig a bit deeper, and the Paradigm will have a bit more mid-bass punch. They are both terrific subwoofers, and you can't go wrong with either one.
Seems like according to this the paradigm will be the one to get. The op already rolls off the stuff below 22hz he said.
Also said they need to be down firing. Still not sure I believe that though, as my measurements haven’t shown any advantage. I’m on concrete as well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It seems we really do need a TL sub on the market. We were decorating the Christmas tree in our large open great room space on Saturday. My wife decided it was time for Christmas carols. So I put on a disc from Kings College on my DIY in wall system. That single 10" driver TL loaded filled the whole space uniformly with high spl, and authority. Yes, the bass pedals made our chests vibrate. It filled the space with clean deep bass with no sweat using little power. This convinced me yet again, this whole sub concept needs rethinking. That sub could also be placed behind pretty much any couch out of sight, as it has little depth. One 10" driver and no huge mega amps, filling a very large space and uniformly with no sweat or fuss with the highest quality clean low Q bass.

That basically harnesses technology that goes back over 2000 years to Greece and Old Byzantium. The more we think we know, the more we forget.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
So that
It seems we really do need a TL sub on the market. We were decorating the Christmas tree in our large open great room space on Saturday. My wife decided it was time for Christmas carols. So I put on a disc from Kings College on my DIY in wall system. That single 10" driver TL loaded filled the whole space uniformly with high spl, and authority. Yes, the bass pedals made our chests vibrate. It filled the space with clean deep bass with no sweat using little power. This convinced me yet again, this whole sub concept needs rethinking. That sub could also be placed behind pretty much any couch out of sight, as it has little depth. One 10" driver and no huge mega amps, filling a very large space and uniformly with no sweat or fuss with the highest quality clean low Q bass.

That basically harnesses technology that goes back over 2000 years to Greece and Old Byzantium. The more we think we know, the more we forget.
Cool. So what are we looking at here? Is that basically a huge "wall" you made with a 10" woofer in the opening and the "wall" acts as a huge box? Do you have a finished view of that?

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I have both the Paradigm Defiance X12 and a SVS SB3000. With the down firing port on the X12, it may give you the loading you want. The X15 is the big brother to the X12 and was well reviewed here. The Martin Logan just won’t be able to do the job.

the above link should be good

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis