BIC system help for newbie

G

gator_grabber

Audiophyte
I purchased the following equipment several years ago to get a stereo into my living room:

Pioneer Receiver VSX-D810S
BIC Center DV53CLR
BIC Towers DV736
BIC Sub D1210R

I would now like to now get serious about putting together a nice little surround system for DVD viewing. Should I add components to what I already have, or would I be better served taking another approach? I'm not a cutting edge audiophyte (please forgive me :D ), but I would like something nice to listen to.

Thanks.

Please have mercy on my newbie soul!

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
gator_grabber said:
I purchased the following equipment several years ago to get a stereo into my living room:

Pioneer Receiver VSX-D810S
BIC Center DV53CLR
BIC Towers DV736
BIC Sub D1210R

I would now like to now get serious about putting together a nice little surround system for DVD viewing. Should I add components to what I already have, or would I be better served taking another approach? I'm not a cutting edge audiophile (please forgive me :D ), but I would like something nice to listen to. Thanks. Please have mercy on my newbie soul!

Is that a 5.1 receiver? How do you like your present speakers? You may be able to add surrounds from the same company?

G

gator_grabber

Audiophyte
Actually it's a 7.1 unit. Yes, I like the sound of the BIC's and was thinking about adding DV-62's for the surrounds.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I would definitely recommend you add a pair of DV62si's to your system. You have a nice receiver, and a great set of speakers.

Here's the specs on the receiver:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_37604_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

It seems your discontinued towers have received some solid reviews as well:
http://ecoustics.audioreview.com/cat/audioreview/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/bic-america/PRD_125735_1594crx.aspx

Amazon.com every once in awhile offers free shipping. Keep an eye on the site.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JPDI/104-2428143-6131903?v=glance&n=172282&n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance

G

gator_grabber

Audiophyte
Well that's good to hear! Any opinion on the center speaker?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
gator_grabber said:
Well that's good to hear! Any opinion on the center speaker?
Definitely upgrade to the DV62 CLR-S. ;)

G

gator_grabber

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice, I thought I might be coming up short there.

J

johsti

Audioholic
One option is replacing your 53clr with a 62clr, and then buy a second 53clr and use the pair as surrounds.

G

gator_grabber

Audiophyte
Sorry I'm late getting back to this, but what an interesting idea...Any negative aspects to doing that? Also, if I'm more into watching DVDs than listening to the stereo, should I buy a center speaker such as the BIC HT65, which is more HT oriented? I don't want a system that's off balance, though. Thanks.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You should try to timbre match your speakers as much as possible. If you want to go for the Acoustech speakers, that's fine, but you should then look to move your whole system to Acoustechs for a consistent sound.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis