Bic "redesign" PL-200 "II"

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
I'm hoping these improvement bring 100db at 25hz and 90-95db at 20hz. (Wish full thinking I know lol)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Haven't seen this much excitement over and entry level product since Klipsch reintroduced theirs.

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
entry level it is! lol

i'm just looking for a stop gap until i can afford a SVS PB-12Plus.

i have no subwoofer at the moment :(

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't expect too much. I think moving the port and splitting it between 2 smaller ports is going to give you pretty much the same result. Aesthetically speaking, it is a nice looking sub considering the price range.

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
True, and i just noticed that Rythmik is offering somewhat reasonable shipping to Canada. Currently looking at the LV12R

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
$130 for shipping is a hell of a lot better than HSU's $350 shipping quote

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
i would, but i don't have the tools to make precision cuts

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, my... I could use a pair of those! SVS killer? That's a pretty impressive feat.
For a no brainer assembly they have proven output, albeit yours a very strong, especially at the price, hard to touch. IIRC it's the Marty Sub design. It's been a while since if been on AVS so I'd have to confirm, but the MS was designed for both the Dayton and the Stereo Integrity 18s.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, my... I could use a pair of those! SVS killer? That's a pretty impressive feat.
You might be surprised, that Dayton driver is quite good.

For a no brainer assembly they have proven output, albeit yours a very strong, especially at the price, hard to touch. IIRC it's the Marty Sub design. It's been a while since if been on AVS so I'd have to confirm, but the MS was designed for both the Dayton and the Stereo Integrity 18s.
Yep, believe that is close to the Martycube....

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
i wonder how much a complete kit cost + shipping to canada
i couldn't find the drivers on the site, only the enclosure

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
diysoundgroup.com will sell drivers (and crossovers) with their speaker kits, but the sub enclosures are without; you'll need to source your own drivers for the sub enclosures (www.parts-express.com for Dayton, or direct from http://stereointegrity.com). The flat-packs (what the knocked down cut mdf kit is often called) are the same at diysoundgroup and parts-express, but don't believe parts-express does any but sealed models to bundle with drivers. Shipping to Canada, you can always ask for a quote....

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The driver and hardware ships from Dayton Ohio so its not to bad to most of Canada and the flat pack isn't bad from anywhere US. The amp can be purchased locally.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Looking forward to the "new" pl-200 II numbers. ( Not regular pl-200, as I know it's been reviewed to death, but thanks for the feedback)

I know there's not gonna be a huge difference , but I know cabinet design, port numbers / size can have a significant impact .

So I wonder did Bic just relocated the ports , or was there actually a audio engineer behind this "refresh".

Even if it's a just small 3-6% improvement... At $279 you can't ask for much more.
I know this is an old post, but in response to the question of whether the changes made any improvement, the way I read Josh Ricci's discussions, that would be "no", it just looks better.

He says nothing about port noise being an issue which makes sense since he does say the driver is pretty timid. I don't think the output of the sub was in any being limited by the old port design.
BIC has a good product here in that it is inexpensive, performs decent for the price, and it looks good! Dual ports moved to the front baffle make it look better and non informed people might think the dual ports are significant as an upgrade. It seems like BIC gave their engineers a budget and had them design a basic sub then followed with a cosmetic makeover. Again, smart marketing.

As far as added bracing, look at how narrow the gap is between the driver and the ports! I'm betting they had to add bracing to reinforce the mdf in this area so it doesn't crack in normal assembly/handling!

I don't hold BIC in contempt for this, I think of them as being like Ryobi as compared to pro-grade tools. They do a decent enough job for the average homeowner and look good (as long as you can stand the green).

Last edited:
B

Bobby P

Audiophyte
Seems like Bic has made some changes for the redesigned PL-200 "II"

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=1&type=8&spkrID=145

quote from Bic's site: "The PL-200 II’s new dual flared front ports enable a more even transition of sound into the room and dramatically boost deeper bass frequencies providing a smoother frequency response, virtually flat down to 20Hz. Wide port flares eliminate port noise and increased cabinet bracing eliminates unwanted cabinet vibrations for even cleaner sound."

the amp/driver seem to be unchanged. only Cabinet/port design.
i'm interested to hear some feedback on these claims, anyone try one yet? are they out?
Great sub for the price. The build quality, specs and majority of reviews, certainly let this gem compete against subs up to the 500$ range. Fantastic as a home theater sub, in a modestly sized room(as most people have) Alittle more finicky on music and source material, but for me, it complements both my listening and viewing choices.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis