Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Is simple white bias lighting truly of benefit to a flat screen LCD television? Are there preferred brands?

Thank you

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That would depend on other lighting in the room I'd think. Have a form of it around mine (but not on the back of the set like some do). Hard to know what you're thinking/proposing from the little you've mentioned. Brands aren't important afaic.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Ideally you want a color temp around 6500k. Lumens around 250, i probably wouldn't go over that. Brands really shouldnt matter but i have heard that some of the cheap ones can get rather hot. I haven't done it yet but it is on my list.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm using a 13' adhesive backed USB powered daylight-white (6000k) LED string to form a loop on the back of my 65" TV and it works well in my family room. With the room lights on it fills a shadow behind the TV and in low light it just gives a nice background effect. On the other hand this is a case of your milage may vary due to room lighting and personal taste.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LR3RAVU

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I use a similar USB powered adhesive strip similar to you but it is multicolored and comes with a remote so I can changet the background lighting. Funny thing is, I leave it set to white.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I use a similar USB powered adhesive strip similar to you but it is multicolored and comes with a remote so I can changet the background lighting. Funny thing is, I leave it set to white.
I have multi color too and almost never leave it on white.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
I cannot use multi color due to my Epilepsy. Btw, please recommend a brand.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't say what brand but I bought mine thru parts-express.com..

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
me too. plain vanilla white

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
To the second question he asked, is there really any benifit. From what understand (I know more will chime in, at least I hope) is that it reduces eye strain. I've always read that about 6500k is the best to use but I haven't heard anything on using colors as a benefit. Some go as far as painting the wall behind their tv to get a true 6500k reflection.
Also didn't like Panasonic or toshiba have an led tv with built in ambient light that would change hue based on what was shown on the tv?

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
I’ve had to drop my idea of bias lighting because our wall is medium blue. That is unless someone has a work around. Oh, do repaint. A wife thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve had to drop my idea of bias lighting because our wall is medium blue. That is unless someone has a work around. Oh, do repaint. A wife thing.
You lost me, why would the color of the wall matter particularly?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But what particular impact for medium blue for example? I didn't read the article.

Yep, mine came that way and will stay until I get around to a re-do. Not sure what you would call the color, somewhat a darkish beige? Plus the lights themselves are adjustable from white to other colors with various effects if I want. No matter what I've set in the way of color I don't find that it particularly affects my perception of color on screen, i.e not any particular changes with the tv, tv still looks right to me.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Supposedly, the light shine on the colored wall will distract a persons perception of colors on the video. I have never used biased lighting. The recommended netural color is a light grey.
The grey is not for us.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis