Biamping with Def Techs

M

mitch57

Audioholic
I am considering Bi-amping my front and center speakers but don't know how to go about doing it.

I have the Rotel RMB-1095 and am using the Denon 3805 as my pre/pro. I have Def Tech BP 7002s for my mains and a Def Tech CLR 2500 for my center and BP 2Xs for my surrounds. The CLR 2500 is Tri-Wireable but my BP7002s only have one set of speaker connections.

Can I Bi-Amp my speakers? How should I go about doing it? Currently my receiver isn't providing power to anything so I think I am wasting that additional 120 Watts per channel power.

Any suggestions?

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
You wouldn't be able to bi-amp your 7002s without some modification. The biamp process works by sending seperate power to the midrange/tweet and the subwoofwer independently.

Don't these speakers have a built in 300watt amp drviing the sub as it is? If so why would you need/want to biamp?

Last edited:
M

mitch57

Audioholic
Yes they do have 300 watt amps driving the subs. I don't know why I would want to biamp. I hear lot's of discussion on the issue and you know how kids are with their toys... Always wanting to either buy new toys or if they can't afford to do that they want to make modifcations to their existing toys!

Currently the latter is where I'm at. I'm just looking for some way to tweak what I already have.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Well good news, since your subs have their own built in power you are already technically biamping your speakers as they are. It would be silly to try and power them in any other way, in my opinion. If you want to play, learn all you can about room acoustics and do all you can to improve them, it would make more of an audible difference anyway.

M

mitch57

Audioholic
Good idea! I guess it's time to hit the books! Or in this case the internet web pages. Thanks for the info!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
After you are done reading your books - biamp your Def-Techs.

They are designed to be biamped. They include the subwoofer which requires dedicated power, but also contains mid-bass drivers, bass drivers, and tweeters. The extra power and separation will give you better sound and more sound at lower levels. Almost everyone I have spoken to who has biamped their speakers, def-tech or otherwise, has been happy they did.

TECHNICALLY, you will be tri-amping your speakers. ;) Reality is that you have a powered sub built into bi-wireable speakers.

M

mitch57

Audioholic
Okay. So how do I do it. I already have the denon sub pre outs connected via RCA cables to each BP7002. In addition I have speaker wire going from my Rotel RMB-1095 to the BP7002s. The BP7002s only have one set of speaker wire connections. Maybe your thinking of a different model of Def Tech speakers which allow bi/tri wiring.

Do I take a second set of left and right speaker wires and connect them to my Denon 3805 and then connect those wires to my speakers along with the already connected wries from the RMB-1095?

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Thanks for coming over to dinner, opening up the can, and leaving before the meal.

He said the BP7002s had one set of terminals so perhaps you should be a little more thorough if you're going to encourage him to "tri-amp" these.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis