surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Could someone at this site please provide factual scientific based information on the bennefit of Bi wiring speakers?
I obtained a bachelor of science degree in industrial electronics many years ago.
I have forgotten quite a bit, but Bi Wiring speakers seems frivalous to my training!

Thanks,

Surveyor :rolleyes:

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
surveyor said:
Could someone at this site please provide factual scientific based information on the bennefit of Bi wiring speakers?
I obtained a bachelor of science degree in industrial electronics many years ago.
I have forgotten quite a bit, but Bi Wiring speakers seems frivalous to my training!
You are correct, bi wiring is nonsense.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
surveyor said:

Thanks,

Surveyor :rolleyes:
Well, in audio, things don't have to be supportable by scientific facts as some/many audiophiles will tell you :(

But, there is hope ;)

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/audio/biwire/Page1.html

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
bi-wiring...

surveyor said:
You have entered the realm of quasi-mystical beliefs, please leave science at the door! lol

Joking aside, IMHO bi-wiring has little/no benefit.

Most people will tell you pretty much the same thing. Audio is not the most demanding application that cabling can be used for, the only real benefit (if using parallel bi-wiring technique) is the fact that you are effectively lowering the resistive values between your amplifier and speakers terminals by doubling the amount of cable conductors (in parallel), that's it!

Alot of this stuff came from ppl selling 'snake oil' solutions claiming 'skin effect' issues can be improved by bi-wiring (BTW - skin effect does exist but it is seen almost exclusively in higher frequency applications (MHz-GHz).

I recommend you consider using thicker gauge wire, it would be easier to install...

Hope this helps.

D

dloweman

Audioholic
I just biwired my front speakers, and I could notice a difference, especially while listening to dave matthews' guitar. I was at my local audio dealer and he told me to biwire, and since i already had some wire I figured why not. I was skeptical too but i think it made a difference. He told me that it would bipass the circuitry to the woofer and would cut down on some unwanted line noise.

C

cownd

Junior Audioholic
This is going to sound funny, but.. My new speakers have 4 separate wiring posts on the back which are 2 and 2. One set is for "high" and one for "Low". Is this in fact the "by-wiring" option you are discussing? I only wired the "High" terminal and it sounds fine to me.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
cownd said:
This is going to sound funny, but.. My new speakers have 4 separate wiring posts on the back which are 2 and 2. One set is for "high" and one for "Low". Is this in fact the "by-wiring" option you are discussing? I only wired the "High" terminal and it sounds fine to me.
Yes. There is usually a jumper of some kind that must be removed when you use both terminals to do bi-wiring. As mentioned by HookedOnSound, Bi-wiring does nothing more than lower the effective gauge of the wire which you could do simply by buying a lower gauge wire in the first place.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for all the informative information everyone!
I will not be bi wiring my speakers even though they are set up to do so from the manufacturers.

As for bi amping, I'm lazy and just use 200 watt amps to all speakers. It seems to be decent sounding- but I'm not discounting the effects that others recieve from bi amping!

Cheers

R

RMK!

Bi-wiring

Good but old thread with much info on bi-wiring. Despite all this, I'm going to bi-wire my front speakers with a new amp I'm installing. The reasoning:

The Amp is a Sunfire Grand Cinema I. The front speaker outs have two sets of speaker posts each. One is labeled "Current Source”, the other is “Voltage Source”. The Manual describes these as; Voltage Source output having source impedance of approx zero ohms and the Current Source having source impedance of one ohm. The center, left and right rear outputs have only one “Voltage Source” output. Reviews of the AMP have described the Current source as having a more tube like ("softer") sound based upon the impedance difference. The manual suggests that if you are bi-wiring the front speakers to use the Current Source outputs to the tweeter and the Voltage Source Outs to the mid/bass. This requires an unusual cable config of four connects on each end of the wire. I have ordered these cables and will be doing just this with my setup. The theory is that the Current Output will mellow the tweeters a bit and the Voltage will nicely drive the mid/bass.
I know how unpopular bi-wiring is here and expect the usual pragmatic responses. That is, if I get any responses ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
One is labeled "Current Source”, the other is “Voltage Source”.
I would shy away from the "Current Source" output. All it does it stick a 1 ohm resistor in series with the power outputs which will raise the amplifier output impedance, destroy damping factor, create unnecessary losses, potentially roll off the top end and cause frequency response varations.

R

RMK!

gene said:
I would shy away from the "Current Source" output. All it does it stick a 1 ohm resistor in series with the power outputs which will raise the amplifier output impedance, destroy damping factor, create unnecessary losses, potentially roll off the top end and cause frequency response varations.
Not a big fan of Sunfire I take it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis