Bi-Wiring From Amplifier To Loudspeaker

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I am not confident dbt's are designed to find them accurately if they did exist,
Cheers, John

I am just not sure why one would need to see what is happening to be able to differentiate between two sounds, or image shifts or anything, knowing that another sense, in this case sight, could mislead?

D

dlorde

Audioholic Intern
DBT is not necessarily to do with seeing anything, it's an experimental protocol where neither the test subject nor the test administrator know which item is being tested - they both don't know, hence Double Blind...

R

Rick Royce

Enthusiast
Stumbling on the Bi-wire technicalities

I outmost admire scientific approaches, in favour of subjective thoughts/evaluations, since the former tends to be black or white/right or wrong (and verifiable to the ambitious people how have the interest, skills and time for this)

A prudently simplified scientific reasoning that makes the results available and understandable to the wide masses, without compromising the scientific validity, is true art to me.

However, I am not following Mr Lesurf approach this time.

1. On the “single cable” arrangement the calculation is made based on a single run of cable. However, on the bi-wired arrangement the calculation is based on double runs of cable. This in itself is causing rudimentary circuit differences due to reduced cable resistance, which has little or nothing to do with the impact of the bi-wire arrangement. A comparison between the bi-wire confirguration and the figure 3. called parallel bi-wire (which is in fact nothing more than double cables in normal configuration) would have been much more scientifically interesting and appropriate.

2. The complete reasoning also neglects the impact of cable inductance. This is likely not a prudent assumption in this situation since inductance is rather dependant on wire gauge. Bi-wiring will double the effective resistance and significantly increase the inductance, as seen by the amplifier, compared to a single wire arrangement using the effective total gauge of the bi-wire cable.

3. Finally I think it is a awfully complex reasoning to prove that reducing the cable resistance by half will have an at least theoretical impact (additionally without knowing it due to the muddled reasoning)

Personally I find this article Why bi-wiring has no benefits more of an understandable read about the impact of bi-wiring. Although perhaps not the final say on this subject, it gives a good introduction and debunks some of the most notoriously proposed bi-wire benefits.

S

snardvaark

Audiophyte
Back in the 90's, isolation of the woofer's back-EMF was the stated primary reason for bi-wiring. Ostensibly, an amplifier with sufficiently high damping factor could "absorb" the voltage generated by the movement of the woofer motor and thus prevent it from affecting the linearity of the speaker's internal crossover network.

J

joeren223

Audiophyte
The equations were not visible on my iPad browser but I understood the article I’ve tried bi-wiring, in the past and found that I was unable to hear any difference in sound quality. Assuming that he speaker wire is purely resistance is very over simplification. The amplifier will ”see” the added bi-wire as twice the capacitance. In long runs this would cause some slight filtering. Weather or not it would be audible remains debatable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis