Bi wiring: 1+2 or 4 channels?

B

bruno

Enthusiast
Hi,

I'm trying to bi wire my speakers. My amplifier has 4 speaker outputs: channel 1 left and right, and channel 2 left and right. I have plugged in 2 cables to each speaker (channel 1 and 2 left to the left speaker, and channel 1 and 2 right to the right speakers).

Now, the amplifier has 4 different positions for selecting speaker channel: 1 (only low mids and lows can be heard through the speakers when bi wired), 2 (only high mids and highs are sounding) and then 1+2 and 4 channels, where everything is heard. Which position should I use? 1+2 or 4? What is the difference between these two?

cheers
/bruno

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Bi-wiring is a waste of time. Don't bother...

J

jeannot

Audioholic
Let's be nice with Bruno, what he has invested a lot of time in this experience.
If his amplifier really has 4 channels, he may actually be bi-amping at position 4, which would be better than bi-wiring.

Bruno, what is the make and model of your amplifier?

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Let's be nice with Bruno, what he has invested a lot of time in this experience.
If his amplifier really has 4 channels, he may actually be bi-amping at position 4, which would be better than bi-wiring.

Bruno, what is the make and model of your amplifier?
So you think it is not nice to tell someone the truth? Biwiring is a waste of time and wire, and not saying that is not doing anyone any favors.

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic
it's ok to try. I bi-amp'ed my speakers and couldn't hear the different so forget about bi-wiring.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I strongly doubt that unit has four discrete amplifiers. Most likely it's two channels with provisions to run two sets of speakers.

Unless you know for sure that the two diferent pairs are connected in parallel when running both channels, I wouls suggest you run both pairs going to one speaker to the same speaker output on the amp. If they are connected in series, strange and not so nice things may happen.

FWIW, I think it's a waste of time, effort, and monry but, hey, whatever turns 'em on. If it feels good and does no harm, why care?

B

bruno

Enthusiast
Hey,

Thanks for your replies. I know there are no scientific evidence in favor of bi wiring, but I was curious. Honestly, it's not that much of a waste of time nor money - it took me like 3 minutes to plug two spare cables into the speakers. No money wasted, thus, and I can spare 3 minutes. I'm spending more posting this reply.
Anyway.
My set up is not very impressive, I'm afraid: 2 Monitor Audio RS1 speakers and a Rotel amp from the late seventies/early eighties (the model is called RA 612). The amp was kind of on the mid/high end of things back in the days. I read it was like 400 dollars when it was released.

I have no idea how the amp works, just that it has outputs for 4 speakers. I believe, like Markw, it's two channels with capability to run two sets of speakers. I have listened to the bi wired speakers at every position, but nothing too weird has happened: Position 1 = only mids, position 2 = only highs, position 1+2 = sounds normal, position "4 channel" = sounds normal, but more "veiled" than on position 1+2, like if treble was missing.
So, if I keep the bi wiring, I would obviously leave it at position 1+2, but I'd like to know what the actual difference between the positions "1+2" and "4 channel" might be.
Again, thanks for your help!
/bruno

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey,

Thanks for your replies. I know there are no scientific evidence in favor of bi wiring, but I was curious. Honestly, it's not that much of a waste of time nor money - it took me like 3 minutes to plug two spare cables into the speakers. No money wasted, thus, and I can spare 3 minutes. I'm spending more posting this reply.
Anyway.
My set up is not very impressive, I'm afraid: 2 Monitor Audio RS1 speakers and a Rotel amp from the late seventies/early eighties (the model is called RA 612). The amp was kind of on the mid/high end of things back in the days. I read it was like 400 dollars when it was released.

I have no idea how the amp works, just that it has outputs for 4 speakers. I believe, like Markw, it's two channels with capability to run two sets of speakers. I have listened to the bi wired speakers at every position, but nothing too weird has happened: Position 1 = only mids, position 2 = only highs, position 1+2 = sounds normal, position "4 channel" = sounds normal, but more "veiled" than on position 1+2, like if treble was missing.
So, if I keep the bi wiring, I would obviously leave it at position 1+2, but I'd like to know what the actual difference between the positions "1+2" and "4 channel" might be.
/bruno
You have to understand that there are only two amplifiers. So if you select 1 and 2 then the two sets of speakers are in parallel. Make sure that the same amp is connected to one speaker otherwise you won't long have your Rotel amp.

Really this is waste of time, and if you don't know what your are doing, you will be looking for a new amp soon.

You won't notice one halfpence of difference.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
/bruno
Do you have manual, if not can you post a photo of the amp's speaker terminals? What kind of speakers do you have, are they 2,3 ways, and how many drivers? You did remove the jumper from the speaker terminals right?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi,
I have attached a photo of the back of the amp. I don't own a manual, unfortunately.
The speakers are 2 way (http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/support/past-products/silver-rs/rs1/your-speaker).
I did remove the jumper.

Cheers
That helps a lot. Based on what I can see in the photo, you have connected your speakers correctly for bi-wire and you should select 1+2. I have no idea what "4" is without reading the manual but I could take a guess I suppose.

I am quite sure selection "1+2" will effectively put two pairs of speakers (what they call speaker 1&2) in parallel and that is why they want you to use only 8 to 16 ohm speakers because two pairs of 8 ohm speakers in parallel will be like connecting one pair of 4 ohm speakers.

You speakers are 6 ohm nominal but that's okay because in bi-wire it is not same as putting two pair of the same speakers in parallel. Again, that amp has only two channels, it provides two sets of speaker terminals to allow you to connect two pair of speakers. The way you bi-wire you are still using just one pair of speaker but you are taking advantage of the extra terminals provided for easier and better connection, that's all.

J

jeannot

Audioholic
So you think it is not nice to tell someone the truth? Biwiring is a waste of time and wire, and not saying that is not doing anyone any favors.
No, I just think that it is never fun to be told that we have wasted time.
That truth should be told, but I try to be nice with people and show some compassion, that is all I was saying. No offense. We're all here to help each other and keep the forum fun.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No, I just think that it is never fun to be told that we have wasted time.
That truth should be told, but I try to be nice with people and show some compassion, that is all I was saying. No offense. We're all here to help each other and keep the forum fun.
You can dance around on pins and needles all you want, but it won't change the bottom line.

And another thing, I have no truck with the self appointed mamby pamby word police.

I was informed the other day, that Orient and Oriental are out. Well not in my vocabulary, and never will be.

Any word police get really short shrift from me.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You can dance around on pins and needles all you want, but it won't change the bottom line.

And another thing, I have no truck with the self appointed mamby pamby word police.

I was informed the other day, that Orient and Oriental are out. Well not in my vocabulary, and never will be.

TLS, did you happen to be a Staff Sergent in the past by any chance ? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jeannot

Audioholic

Well that was rude. Message received.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well that was rude. Message received.
No, it firmly stated a valid point of view. Templemaners and Pyrrho's post were straightforward and on point. They just needed support from a gratuitous reprimand.

J

jeannot

Audioholic
No, it firmly stated a valid point of view. Templemaners and Pyrrho's post were straightforward and on point. They just needed support from a gratuitous reprimand.
Okay. When you called me "self appointed mamby pamby word police", you were just stating a valid point of view. I understand now.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Honestly, do you prefer pretense or honesty? You've effectively called many of us "rude" since you started posting here, for stating facts.

Enough with the hyper-sensitivity. Hopefully by now you understand that a lot of us are honest when we say things. It clearly rubs you the wrong way.

This isn't audioasylum where everyone's right about how they feel. Facts rule here. If you're wrong or doing something meaningless, it's no one's intention to hurt your feelings. It's our intention to explain facts and realities to help people save valuable time and money from audiophile time-wasting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis