Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
One more dummy question. On a binding post, are lower ones universally for LF and upper ones for HF? Some speakers do have this labeled with HF and LF.
That is the most common arrangement, but I don't think there is a universal standard.

It's easy enough to find out what the upper or lower pairs of posts do. Remove the links and connect only to the upper posts. It should be easy to tell if you are hearing the low frequencies or upper frequencies.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
That is the most common arrangement, but I don't think there is a universal standard.

It's easy enough to find out what the upper or lower pairs of posts do. Remove the links and connect only to the upper posts. It should be easy to tell if you are hearing the low frequencies or upper frequencies.
Ok, so I won't screw anything this way.

Tnx, will try.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Makes no difference since its the same signal from the avr....but position of the bi wire/biamp terminals usually goes with driver orientation....
So there won't be "more dedicated power" for the woofers if I connect FL/FR to LF speaker terminals?

I thought that's internal amp has most power reserved for FR/FL.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
I do, and I just sent an email to ask. I think you might be right also. I've been thinking about sending LFE to, and/or eq'ing just the bass sections of my towers. Gene suggested it to me once. Is that where you're going?
Which speaker model do you have? I'm curious about going for some full range.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Nope. All sharing the same power supply. You're just dividing it up more.
I know they are sharing, but if I for example connect my 2 speakers to any other channels on my avr, would I have same 2 x 95W? I thought, probably wrong, that it only for the FR/FL (and when no other speakers connected or working)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Which speaker model do you have? I'm curious about going for some full range.

They are SVS Ultra Towers. I have two 8" drivers connected to the bottom set of posts and two 6 1/2" drivers with the Tweeter on the upper ones. Plus I have a full 1400 watts of amplification (7 * 200w) into 8 ohms.

I think if I tried real hard to hear it and play them loudly at full range with no subwoofer I may be gaining some benefit, but it doesn't translate into anything significant enough for me to hear.

You would think a set of speakers like those with the amplification I have, if it made a significant difference it would be more noticeable and I would hear it. I don't really though and audio memory is so fleeting it's difficult to tell when it's close. The obvious stuff is easy, but for more subtle differences you really need instantaneous switching.

Besides, I always use my subs anyway so it's kind of a moot point.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another thing to think about too, you mentioned getting some new speakers. I would not make biamp a priority. My current favorite pair of speakers only have one set of posts and they're pretty stunning to listen to. And they're bookshelf speakers! I haven't had my towers hooked up to my amp in a week. I can't say that I feel like I'm missing anything.

My point is, if you're really after better sound your money is better spent on speakers. Your tower budget will go further in build quality, materials, electronics and crossovers and sound quality on a pair of bookshelves. Add a couple of Subs to the mix and you pretty much have towers.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Another thing to think about too, you mentioned getting some new speakers. I would not make biamp a priority. My current favorite pair of speakers only have one set of posts and they're pretty stunning to listen to. And they're bookshelf speakers! I haven't had my towers hooked up to my amp in a week. I can't say that I feel like I'm missing anything.

My point is, if you're really after better sound your money is better spent on speakers. Your tower budget will go further in build quality, materials, electronics and crossovers and sound quality on a pair of bookshelves. Add a couple of Subs to the mix and you pretty much have towers.
I have these old Cambridges so I'll try biamping them, just because I have free channels in the avr and they can be biamped. And I'll lose nothing.

It's far from my priority, I'm not sure if I'll look into biamping capabilities.

These old speakers and avr will stay here in my home. When I move I'll buy another pair there, something much better.

As I wrote MA Silver 500 are on my radar, 1700€ for a pair. Im not sure if I can stretch more. Focal Aria 926, too. I know I'll go 3-way, and they must be beautiful (WAF). I'm maling a list in that price range. But I'll have to audition them all first. And before that purchase I'll bother the hell out of all you here ;)

Please just review my post #186 so that I can be sure what I'm doing.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
@Pogre you have a hell of a system, I'm yet to build one for myself. This is an expensive hobby, or should I say tough illness to treat.

I know for sure that I'll add a subs too. But many of them are ugly as hell, my wife would say. MA W12 anf REL T7i are gorgeous. If SVS SB3000 would have a skin like that, ot wouldn't be a debate.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know they are sharing, but if I for example connect my 2 speakers to any other channels on my avr, would I have same 2 x 95W? I thought, probably wrong, that it only for the FR/FL (and when no other speakers connected or working)
Your manual spec's each channel the same 95W, so no it doesn't matter which terminal you use.
Front:95 W + 95 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.) 125 W + 125 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)

Center:95 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)125 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)

Surround:95 W + 95 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)125 W + 125 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)

Surround back:95 W + 95 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)125 W + 125 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have these old Cambridges so I'll try biamping them, just because I have free channels in the avr and they can be biamped. And I'll lose nothing.

It's far from my priority, I'm not sure if I'll look into biamping capabilities.

These old speakers and avr will stay here in my home. When I move I'll buy another pair there, something much better.

As I wrote MA Silver 500 are on my radar, 1700€ for a pair. Im not sure if I can stretch more. Focal Aria 926, too. I know I'll go 3-way, and they must be beautiful (WAF). I'm maling a list in that price range. But I'll have to audition them all first. And before that purchase I'll bother the hell out of all you here ;)

Please just review my post #186 so that I can be sure what I'm doing.
I forgot you had the MA Silvers on your short list. Those are a great choice. I know Ryan was very impressed and almost bought those when he was researching.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yup... they were my favorites while auditioning OEM/Brand Name Speakers. Coulda done them and been happy.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
I bi-amped speakers, works fine. I didn't listen critically but can't say there is any difference. It's nice feeling using two more amps and the whole binding post. To think you have a little more headroom (even when that might not be the case). Psychology is something you don't dismiss just like that :D:D

My wife and I watched Underwater tonight, Denon was on -10 and she was freaking it was too loud, how neighbors will complain...went over the house saying "the whole house is vibrating from the bass".... I'm not sure if we went more than 90dB on Cambridge Audio S70's. When I remembered I ran SPL meter app for 15 mins and there was max 86dB. I didn't have any speakers worth mentioning before these, but these 5.25" drivers can go low, beyond my expectations. They are not so much for music but I'm surprised how well they behave with the movies.

I won't go off-topic anymore.

Cheers

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is something special! You have some great equipment, I envy you in a good way :)
Thank you. It would not have happened if not for my friends here at AH! I was looking at a lot of different stuff and likely never would have learned about Dennis and Philharmonic had I kept my head in the sand. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis