maximoiglesias

maximoiglesias

Audioholic
My speakers are ready for bi amping and/or bi wiring. My Pioneer reciever has zone 2 speakers terminals, can I use these terminals to bi amp my front speakers??

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
No, you can't, because if you did it would mean that you haven't done a simple search and read about 1,426 other threads where people have already responded that there's a greater than 99% chance passive bi-amping will make no audible difference. If you want to do it anyway, just because you think it looks cool, and sounds like you've done something cool to your friends who don't know any better, go for it. But don't tell anyone here about it, lest you get castigated for silliness. ;)

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
No, you can't, because if you did it would mean that you haven't done a simple search and read about 1,426 other threads where people have already responded that there's a greater than 99% chance passive bi-amping will make no audible difference. If you want to do it anyway, just because you think it looks cool, and sounds like you've done something cool to your friends who don't know any better, go for it. But don't tell anyone here about it, lest you get castigated for silliness. ;)
What you should have said is

Why dont you read your own manual instead of trying to get some other sap to do it for you...
Also.. it's unlikely passive bi-amping will make much, if any difference ...although if you've got 2 channel's sitting redundant it would be silly not to use them..

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

maximoiglesias

maximoiglesias

Audioholic
Silly me......thanks anyway. It was just a thought because of an article read in a British hi fi magazine.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
That's active bi-amping...which would be worthwhile
Your (and me) talking about passive bi-amping...

Tbh neither are gonna make much (if any) difference on
Middle of the road home theatre equipment.

This stuff only starts making sense when your listening
To bach on a £40 k ,2 channel system...
As i said though ,imo ..it seems silly to have 2 channels sitting redundant..
For what its worth though, i thought i noticed a tiny tiny difference While listening to a cd in pure direct...
But it was just as likely a placebo effect

If you want a worthwhile difference play about with your
Speaker placement...even a couple of inches can have an impact.....oooer missus

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's active bi-amping...which would be worthwhile
Your (and me) talking about passive bi-amping...

Tbh neither are gonna make much (if any) difference on
Middle of the road home theatre equipment.

This stuff only starts making sense when your listening
To bach on a £40 k ,2 channel system...
As i said though ,imo ..it seems silly to have 2 channels sitting redundant..
For what its worth though, i thought i noticed a tiny tiny difference While listening to a cd in pure direct...
But it was just as likely a placebo effect

If you want a worthwhile difference play about with your
Speaker placement...even a couple of inches can have an impact.....oooer missus

I think all those talks about passive biamp/biwire makes no sense/difference whereas active biamp does, are mostly hearsays that go from one to another and keep getting pass around and eventually got treated as facts. I am not aware of any proof by any DBT or just any credible comparison listening reports that show one is better than the other. IMO, it is one of those things that if you believe you heard a difference than you do while if you don't then just don't bother. It's not like speakers and source media, that probably any normal human being can tell the difference between the good, bad or just different. I know theoretically there are benefits of passive biamp but am too lazy to do it so I just do biwire and heard absolutely no difference. Active biamp can certainly make a difference in theory but I am just not sure if it means better. I think the odds are high that it could be worse if not done right and it would seem not hard to not doing it right.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
What you should have said is

Why dont you read your own manual instead of trying to get some other sap to do it for you...
Also.. it's unlikely passive bi-amping will make much, if any difference ...although if you've got 2 channel's sitting redundant it would be silly not to use them..

I'll second that. Simply read your manual to see if your receiver supports bi-amping. Then decide for yourself.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think all those talks about passive biamp/biwire makes no sense/difference whereas active biamp does, are mostly hearsays that go from one to another and keep getting pass around and eventually got treated as facts. I am not aware of any proof by any DBT or just any credible comparison listening reports that show one is better than the other. IMO, it is one of those things that if you believe you heard a difference than you do while if you don't then just don't bother. It's not like speakers and source media, that probably any normal human being can tell the difference between the good, bad or just different. I know theoretically there are benefits of passive biamp but am too lazy to do it so I just do biwire and heard absolutely no difference. Active biamp can certainly make a difference in theory but I am just not sure if it means better. I think the odds are high that it could be worse if not done right and it would seem not hard to not doing it right.
If you have separate amp channels for each portion AND your speakers need that power for the SPL you are after, then there may be a difference. In 9 out of 10 cases though, just getting an amp with enough power on one channel will take care of the problem. I have tried both as well. Biwiring did nothing audible for me. Passive Biamping made a very slight difference, but not one that was worth the additional setup time and gear. My current speakers that I've had for around 10 years now don't support biamping. I sold the ones that did :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you have separate amp channels for each portion AND your speakers need that power for the SPL you are after, then there may be a difference. In 9 out of 10 cases though, just getting an amp with enough power on one channel will take care of the problem. I have tried both as well. Biwiring did nothing audible for me. Passive Biamping made a very slight difference, but not one that was worth the additional setup time and gear. My current speakers that I've had for around 10 years now don't support biamping. I sold the ones that did :)
My best pair does not support biamping either. Agree, no perceivable difference, just saying though, so call active biamping could make things worse easier than people may think.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Tried bi-wiring just for "sh?ts and giggles" and it did not make any difference sonically that I was aware off. It looked cool but that was about it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis