Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
I've noticed where some of you talk about bi-amping your speakers. Is that where you use your reciever as a sort of pre-amp, then pushing that signal into another power amp for more boost?? I'm not sure if they do the same thing for home audio, but in car audio there is a device called a line driver. What this does is boosts the signal from the source to the driver/amp, allowing you to turn the gain down. Would this be possible, or am I completely off-target on this one??

Paul

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Basically, bi-amping requires a special type of speaker. It must allow the bass driver and the mid/high driver(s) to be separated. This is evidenced by looking at the back of the speaker in question. You will see TWO binding posts, one for the bass abd the other for the highs. These are joined by a either a metal strip or a wire of some sort.

To bi amp in a minimalist fashion, you must remove that strip/wite joining both sets of speaker terminals. Then. you take your preamp output and feed it to TWO power amps per channel. The outputs of these power amps is then fed to each separate sets of speaker inputs.

If all goes well and the gain of the amps is the same, the sound is improved but, bear in mind that you are at the mercy of the speaker's designers as to which speaker gets what.

Additionally, more control can be had by inserting an electronic crossover between the preamp and the power amps. This gives you greater control over the range sent to each speaker and the levels of each.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis