• Thread starter Micuael Charles
  • Start date
M

Micuael Charles

Audiophyte
I would like to Bi-Amp my system but I'm still confused on how to do it right.
I have Harmon Kardon AVR 645 with Polk Audio speakers, Front RTi 6, Rear RTi 4, Center CSi 3, Sub PSW 505.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The AVR645 has no option to assign the surround back channels to front channels so if you really want to do it you have to add an external amp. It does allow you to assign the SB channel to a remote zone but I don't think there is a good solution. Regardless, there most likely won't be audible benefits bi-amping your speakers.

M

Micuael Charles

Audiophyte
everettT. Im trying to gain more Quality of sound and maximize my system.

PENG and everettT,

I do have a JBL Synthesis s650 power amp. 650 watts 5 channel.
130w RMS into 8ohms, THD <0.03
Should I just run my HK 645 through the pre outs or will Bi-Amping give better quality?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

PENG and everettT,

Should I just run my HK 645 through the pre outs or will Bi-Amping give better quality?
You will likely not notice any difference with passive bI amping. It's more a marketing gimmick than anything. To truly reap the rewards of bi amping you would use external dsp (active crossovers) instead of the speakers' passive crossovers.

M

Micuael Charles

Audiophyte
You will likely not notice any difference with passive bI amping. It's more a marketing gimmick than anything. To truly reap the rewards of bi amping you would use external dsp (active crossovers) instead of the speakers' passive crossovers.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
The passive bi-amping you're inquiring about simply won't do that.

No, bi-amping will not provide better quality. Using the more powerful amp may improve things, if and only if you were exceeding the HK's limits to begin with. Since you have both already, go ahead and try the external JBL amp. At the least it will increase your available headroom a couple of decibels. Unless you were really taxing the HK, chances are you won't hear any difference with the outboard amp.

'Gaining more quality' as you put it usually starts with the speakers, and how they couple to your local acoustic environment, so start there. Get yourself a copy of Toole's latest edition, and put some of what you learn into practice, and you'll get more quality than bi-wiring could ever provide.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What is dsp active Passover? o_O
A DSP is a Digital Signal Processor (active crossover) that you would use instead of traditional speakers which have the electronics built in (passive crossover).

The crossover is a filter that prevents your woofer from trying to play high frequencies and prevents your tweeters from trying to play the bass frequencies. When you force a driver to operate outside its capabilities it translates as distortion and can damage a speaker.

M

Micuael Charles

Audiophyte
A DSP is a Digital Signal Processor (active crossover) that you would use instead of traditional speakers which have the electronics built in (passive crossover).

The crossover is a filter that prevents your woofer from trying to play high frequencies and prevents your tweeters from trying to play the bass frequencies. When you force a driver to operate outside its capabilities it translates as distortion and can damage a speaker.
Thankk you.
WOW. SOUNDS GOOD

M

Micuael Charles

Audiophyte

The passive bi-amping you're inquiring about simply won't do that.

No, bi-amping will not provide better quality. Using the more powerful amp may improve things, if and only if you were exceeding the HK's limits to begin with. Since you have both already, go ahead and try the external JBL amp. At the least it will increase your available headroom a couple of decibels. Unless you were really taxing the HK, chances are you won't hear any difference with the outboard amp.

'Gaining more quality' as you put it usually starts with the speakers, and how they couple to your local acoustic environment, so start there. Get yourself a copy of Toole's latest edition, and put some of what you learn into practice, and you'll get more quality than bi-wiring could ever provide.
Yes the HK is 75 watts per channel and the JBL is 130 w per channel.

THANK ALL YOU GUYS VERY MUCH.
GREAT INFO THAT I WILL PUT TO USE.

M

Micuael Charles

Audiophyte
You really need to get better speakers and improve your room acoustics for this benefit.
Thank you Im planning on going to Klipsch Now what gauge speaker wire should I use 10, or 12 gauge?

P

Peace Maker

Audiophyte
Could you please help explain how to do the active bi-amping. I have two Stoney receivers STR-DN 1050 and 1060. Polk Audio RTI A9 for my tower speaker and Polk audio CSi A6 for center speakers.

Please help me figure out how the active bi-Amping could be effectively done. Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think it's you who might be stoney :) Altho having those two avrs won't do it....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Could you please help explain how to do the active bi-amping. I have two Stoney receivers STR-DN 1050 and 1060. Polk Audio RTI A9 for my tower speaker and Polk audio CSi A6 for center speakers.

Please help me figure out how the active bi-Amping could be effectively done. Thanks
I suspect there's a lot more to it than you realize. For starters you would tear all the crossovers out of your speakers or start fresh with speakers designed for it. The gains you would achieve properly bi amping a system are not worth the money and effort involved unless you have plenty of it and deem it worthy.

Google "active crossovers" and "bi amp". Do some research before you do anything else.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis