Bi amp setup with jumpers or without

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Flyboy does passive bi amping, many do. Just trying to do something more. Thanks anyway.
Well, his two SV831R's are passive, while his four SV1212NR's are Active Bi-amp.

The reason is because there is likely no benefits to actively bi-amping the SV831R.

So the question is, even if you could get the Active bi-amp on those RP6000F's, will there be any real benefits?

What is the true benefit of active bi-amp? Getting more POWER where it's needed?

I can see the NEED for more power for dual 12" Subwoofers. But is there a need for more power with dual 6.5" woofers?

At one point, I thought about getting the Klipsch RF7iii so I could "partially-Active" Bi-amp those dual 10" woofers. All I would do is remove the Jumpers, then feed the dual 10" woofers with the Subwoofer Signal/Sub Amp. I would not remove the internal XO. So yes, technically, this isn't true active-bi-amp by definition. But it does work great by turning those 100% passive dual 10" woofers into "almost active" subwoofers - I could control the volume of those dual 10" woofers by adjusting the volume knob of the subwoofer amp.

So you could have done the same with your RP6000F - keep the internal XO, remove the jumpers, and bi-amp using a subwoofer amp or your dBx XO. It's not true active-bi-amp by definition, but it gets the job done and you could actively adjust the volume of those dual 6.5" woofers.

But then again, I don't know about doing this with SMALL 6.5" woofers. Will these small woofers handle much power and excursion like dual 10" or dual 12" subwoofers? Are these 6.5" woofers made to perform like subwoofers? If not, you could break those dual 6.5" woofers.

Last edited:
B

BWT1963

Douchebag
You just created a closed circuit before the speakers using the jumpers.
OMG, for the last time, I used the jumpers for two seconds as an experiment. That's good advice though. I'll just go with the passives.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
OMG, for the last time, I used the jumpers for two seconds as an experiment. That's good advice though. I'll just go with the passives.
The Marantz a Amplifier’s are very good quality but they are not designed for arc welding, even for two seconds

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
OMG, you can blow your amp in a fraction of a second passive bi amping with the jumpers in place. It's instantaneous. You are very, very lucky you didn't blow your amps.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, welcome to Audioholics, BTW. We're really friendly and nice once you get to know us. ;) :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, at least you're trying actual bi-amping. Sounds like something isn't connected in the speakers properly if the amps are still working fine.

B

BWT1963

Douchebag
Well, at least you're trying actual bi-amping. Sounds like something isn't connected in the speakers properly if the amps are still working fine.
Well, a kind tone from one of you. Don't confuse me! Just kidding. Yes, everything is just fine. I'm just going to connect the original, internal passives. I'll just buy another pair of speakers that are bi ampable for another spot in the house. Thank you!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, a kind tone from one of you. Don't confuse me! Just kidding. Yes, everything is just fine. I'm just going to connect the original, internal passives. I'll just buy another pair of speakers that are bi ampable for another spot in the house. Thank you!
I'd save the bi-amping for a diy project....personally have never been bored enough to tear out a passive network and try and improve upon it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds like something isn't connected in the speakers properly if the amps are still working fine.
Not sure exactly what you mean but you may be right. :D The fact is, if the jumpers were left connected, the two amps used to biamp could survive two second, even longer as long as the OP has everything else connected correctly inside the speakers (no short cct) and the two amps have identical electrical specs, and both are fed the exact same signal simultaneously. There are too many ifs so yes the risk would be high, but I am not surprised his amp's still working because with two amps connected in parallel is not the same as shorting the amp's +/- terminals. The former is obviously a scc, the later, may be, may be not.

The no jumper, no sound part is hard to figure out, without a sketch that shows how he has everything hooked up, from input to active XO, to preamp, power amps, speaker binding posts, to speaker drivers, assuming he correctly isolated the passive XOs.

OP, would you kindly post a sketch so we don't have to assume anything?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Might will be stretching it. Unfortunately you have acted like the proverbial bull in a china shop! Using two amps with the jumpers on, was reckless. If you connect the output of two power amps in parallel, which having the jumpers on would have done, risks serious damage to both amps, in microseconds. That is about the worst mistake you can make with two amps.

Disconnecting the crossover was another mistake. Crossovers are not generic, and your dbx unit is not a replacement for the speakers crossovers. Even active crossovers have to be custom to the speakers in question. What you have done has also risked damage to the tweeters of those speakers. You will be lucky if you have not done damage to amps and speakers.

The only advice I have for you, is to put your speakers back together correctly, and use one amp and pray everything works.

I'm afraid you are now the resident Kamikaze member of the forum currently in good standing.

Please let us know the result of the measures I have suggested.

B

BWT1963

Douchebag
Might will be stretching it. Unfortunately you have acted like the proverbial bull in a china shop! Using two amps with the jumpers on, was reckless. If you connect the output of two power amps in parallel, which having the jumpers on would have done, risks serious damage to both amps, in microseconds. That is about the worst mistake you can make with two amps.

Disconnecting the crossover was another mistake. Crossovers are not generic, and your dbx unit is not a replacement for the speakers crossovers. Even active crossovers have to be custom to the speakers in question. What you have done has also risked damage to the tweeters of those speakers. You will be lucky if you have not done damage to amps and speakers.

The only advice I have for you, is to put your speakers back together correctly, and use one amp and pray everything works.

I'm afraid you are now the resident Kamikaze member of the forum currently in good standing.

Right, sure.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

As I mentioned earlier, leaving the jumpers connected is a no no, but whether it would damage the amps or not depends.., best case scenario it won't damage anything even for seconds, let alone micro seconds. Again, it is still something to be avoided, but no argument there. I just don't want the OP to worry about something bad has already happened to his amps.

B

BWT1963

Douchebag
As I mentioned earlier, leaving the jumpers connected is a no no, but whether it would damage the amps or not depends.., best case scenario it won't damage anything even for seconds, let alone micro seconds. Again, it is still something to be avoided, but no argument there. I just don't want the OP to worry about something bad has already happened to his amps.
Everything's fine.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You were born under a lucky star.
It sounds like things weren't wired correctly and that's what saved him. Weird that it only played with the jumpers attached. I'm curious how it was wired up now...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Everything's fine.
Good for you, you took step to try it for just two seconds, that helped. It could have helped even more if you had set the volume very low to begin with.

The funny thing is, leaving the jumpers on while using external active XO has a higher chance of causing damage to amps due to circulating current, than doing the same with passive biamp, though either way, one must try hard to remember removing the jumpers, sorry for repeating..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It sounds like things weren't wired correctly and that's what saved him. Weird that it only played with the jumpers attached. I'm curious how it was wired up now...
As I said, hard to tell without a connection diagram. It might be that he had the HF output connected to the bass driver and the LF output connected to the tweeter (by mistake, that is, obviously..) Being a two way speaker, if connected that way, with the volume set low enough, he might not have noticed much sound coming out of the 6000F.:D With the jumpers on, then both drivers would be getting full range, hence they might just be able to "scream" a little. Just my educated guess..

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis