Bi amp setup with jumpers or without

B

BWT1963

Douchebag
Hello,

I am running a Rotel RC-1590 preamp with balanced connection into a dbx DriveRack PA2, into twin Marantz MM7025 amps, into Klipsch 6000F speakers. I am able to get sound when using jumpers with this setup but not without jumpers. I'd really like to have a true bi amp setup after going through all of this time and expense.

The question is: what's the problem with the no jumper mode? It doesn't work. Is there a short in the speaker wires? I did disconnect the internal speaker crossovers and the wires are only twisted, bare and not soldered yet. It screams with the jumpers on though.

Could it be my amps going into protect mode for some reason. Any info would be super. Thank you!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What? How? ... Why??

Going by your description it sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. Leaving the jumpers on while bi amping will destroy your amp(s). I would like to see a picture of this convoluted setup you have going here, and a better explanation of how and why you have things hooked up the way you do...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
First, why did you disconnect the passive XOs?
Do you have Active XOs that you are replacing them with between preamp and amp?

Second, did you actually Bi-Amp with the jumpers in place?

It's pretty clear, you know just enough to be completely dangerous.

So, Passive crossovers are there to protect the individual drivers from getting signal they cannot process. Tweeters reproducing low frequencies? This will blow your tweeters very fast. woofers reproducing high frequencies will introduce significant deleterious distortions.
Connecting a Bi-Wire or Bi-Amp scenario with the jumpers in place will blow either your amps or your speakers... or both.

Excuse me. Have a nice day.
Cute.

Ok, have a nice day when you shop for new equipment.

B

BWT1963

Douchebag
What? How? ... Why??

Going by your description it sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. Leaving the jumpers on while bi amping will destroy your amp(s). I would like to see a picture of this convoluted setup you have going here, and a better explanation of how and why you have things hooked up the way you do...
What? How? ... Why??

What? How? ... Why??

It's just like I explained it.

B

BWT1963

Douchebag
First, why did you disconnect the passive XOs?
Do you have Active XOs that you are replacing them with between preamp and amp?

Second, did you actually Bi-Amp with the jumpers in place?

It's pretty clear, you know just enough to be completely dangerous.

So, Passive crossovers are there to protect the individual drivers from getting signal they cannot process. Tweeters reproducing low frequencies? This will blow your tweeters very fast. woofers reproducing high frequencies will introduce significant deleterious distortions.
Connecting a Bi-Wire or Bi-Amp scenario with the jumpers in place will blow either your amps or your speakers... or both.

Cute.

Ok, have a nice day when you shop for new equipment.
the dbx DriveRack PA2 is the active crossover.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did disconnect the internal speaker crossovers and the wires are only twisted, bare and not soldered yet. It screams with the jumpers on though.
Why on earth did you do this??

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
the dbx DriveRack PA2 is the active crossover.
You need to use speakers designed for bi amping. You can't just rip out the passive crossovers and use a processor in place. Crossover networks do more than just split up frequencies. You pretty much just ruined those speakers and this talk of putting the jumpers in is exactly how amps are fried.

There's no telling what you have going on internally right now tho, so all bets all off. Those speakers are no longer reliable or safe to use, imo.

B

BWT1963

Douchebag
You need to use speakers designed for bi amping. You can't just rip out the passive crossovers and use a processor in place. Crossover networks do more than just split up frequencies. You pretty much just ruined those speakers and this talk of putting the jumpers in is exactly how amps are fried.

There's no telling what you have going on internally right now tho, so all bets all off. Those speakers are no longer reliable or safe to use, imo.
The Klipsch 6000F speakers are designed for bi amping.

B

BWT1963

Douchebag
[/QUOTE
I have been over this many times with many techs. It's wired perfectly. Forget about the jumpers. That was just a test. The dbx is doing its job, the amps just aren't talking to the speakers. Just looking for ideas. Thanks anyway.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello,

I am running a Rotel RC-1590 preamp with balanced connection into a dbx DriveRack PA2, into twin Marantz MM7025 amps, into Klipsch 6000F speakers. I am able to get sound when using jumpers with this setup but not without jumpers. I'd really like to have a true bi amp setup after going through all of this time and expense.

The question is: what's the problem with the no jumper mode? It doesn't work. Is there a short in the speaker wires? I did disconnect the internal speaker crossovers and the wires are only twisted, bare and not soldered yet. It screams with the jumpers on though.

Could it be my amps going into protect mode for some reason. Any info would be super. Thank you!
So you've disconnected the Klipsch 6000F's internal XO and used the dBx DriveRack as a 2-Way XO, but got no sound with the jumpers not connected.

Note to @flyboylr45: I am so glad you decided NOT to remove your RBH SV831R's internal XO. :D

But back to the thread, I don't know enough about speaker internal XO to remove them.

@TLS Guy might give you some insight.

Last edited:
B

BWT1963

Douchebag
So you've disconnected the Klipsch 6000F's internal XO and used the dBx DriveRack as a 2-Way XO, but get no sound with the jumpers not connected.

Note to @flyboylr45: I am so glad you decided NOT to remove your RBH SV831R's internal XO. :D

But back to the thread, I don't know enough about speaker internal XO to remove them.

Thanks.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I have been over this many times with many techs. It's wired perfectly. Forget about the jumpers. That was just a test. The dbx is doing its job, the amps just aren't talking to the speakers.
Your amplifiers may never talk to the speakers again. Before you do anything else, disconnect the active crossover and the amplifiers and replace the jumpers. Then reconnect each amplifier between the preamplifier and the speakers one at a time and see if they still work.

B

BWT1963

Douchebag
So you've disconnected the Klipsch 6000F's internal XO and used the dBx DriveRack as a 2-Way XO, but get no sound with the jumpers not connected.

Flyboy does passive bi amping, many do. Just trying to do something more. Thanks anyway.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They're designed for PASSIVE bi amping. They ARE NOT designed to rip out the crossovers and slap a processor in its place. Those speakers are absolutely not designed for active bi amping. You likely just ruined those speakers, and you're lucky you didn't blow your amp.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
You just created a closed circuit before the speakers using the jumpers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis