Bi-amp on a Denon AVRX4500H

J

juanacevedo

Audiophyte
I have my Denon AVR set for Bi-amp front channels. I want to add external amplifiers for the bi-amped speakers.
If I leave the Bi_amp setting and use the Pre_out to connect to an external amp for the woofers and use the Pre-out
Height2 L&R to connect to another external amplifier for the Ribbon tweeters.
Scenario 2 if above does not work: Use pre-outs Front L&R with a 'Y' rca cables and then to the two new external amplifiers.
Which will be better, any suggestions?

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Splitting the signal with a y splitter would have the same effect as using the pre-outs (which essentially have been split internally). Either way, passive bi-amping like this is mostly a waste of wire.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have my Denon AVR set for Bi-amp front channels. I want to add external amplifiers for the bi-amped speakers.
If I leave the Bi_amp setting and use the Pre_out to connect to an external amp for the woofers and use the Pre-out
Scenario 2 if above does not work: Use pre-outs Front L&R with a 'Y' rca cables and then to the two new external amplifiers.
Scenario 1 is better, but either way is fine if the external power amps have high enough input impedance such as higher than 20 kOhms. If you don't use the Height2 channels, use them (the pre outs) regardless because it is at least better theoretically.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
What you describe isn't bi-amplification. It is biwiring. In order to biamplify you need to disable the crossover network inside your speaker cabinets and add an external crossover that can route the right signal to the right driver or drivers. I can't help but think bi-wiring was invented by the wire manufacturers that wanted people to use more wire to accomplish the same thing they already had.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Passive bi-amping is a waste of time and money. All the power is on the low end, and so the power going to the top end is miniscule.

If you are going to bi-amp then the crossovers should be active and ahead of the power amps. Active crossovers have significant advantages over passive ones. So to achieve any improved results would require removing the passive crossovers also designing and building active crossovers.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Passive bi-amping is a waste of time and money. All the power is on the low end, and so the power going to the top end is miniscule.

If you are going to bi-amp then the crossovers should be active and ahead of the power amps. Active crossovers have significant advantages over passive ones. So to achieve any improved results would require removing the passive crossovers also designing and building active crossovers.
You can simply buy an active crossover. They are quite adjustable as you know.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis