Beyerdynamic DT880 2003 Model Subjective Review

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Thanks! Now I need to have cereals for lunch for a couple of weeks so I can save up the money to buy a pair of these cans. :)

Easy fix - some sellers on Amazon (new of course) have them for around $90 thats where I picked mine up.

The links: 1 2

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I have heard 3 stereo rigs powered by tube amplifiers, they where nothing special in my opinion.
Any well designed solid state amplifier that is transparent will sound the same when operating within it's design parameters.
Am I right that you are comparing 2-channel conventional speaker stereo rig amps to headphone amps? :eek:

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I have to say that this is the first time I've seen a headphone mod where the user adds foam(to smother?) rather than remove foam. I find my 880's to be very revealing with tubes and SS but not overly bright. With poor quality sources they can be brutal (sibilance). With my reference CD's they sound excellent.
The DT880 has some substantial resonances and nulls that occur between the driver face and ear structure, as I have verified by my own measurement(s). Adding the proper high grade acoustic foam nearly removes this issue completely. This modification will also make the headphone have a more similar response on different people, since the ear structure now has less influence over the signal shape.

-Chris

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Easy fix - some sellers on Amazon (new of course) have them for around $90 thats where I picked mine up.

The links: 1 2
And if you want to save money, just get the MDR-V6 for $20 or so less. The only downsides are a nickel plug instead of gold plated, and the lower availability of spare parts (since it's not a "professional" model). Of course, these things are durable enough that I doubt you'll need them. For what it's worth, I have the MDR-7506, but that's because I needed the headphones NOW when I bought them, and the only place locally was guitar center, which only carries "pro" (hahahahahahah) stuff.

G

GreatDane

Enthusiast
A properly calibrated microphone [defined in this case as perfectly linear in the ranges being measured] is used in conjunction with sufficient absorption to simulate anechoic response for the headphones.
Can you post pictures of your measuring gear in action?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Can you post pictures of your measuring gear in action?
In this case the measurements were not taken by me so I unfortunately cannot share them as they are not mine to share. If I have time this weekend I will take some measurements personally for you though.

Last edited:
G

GreatDane

Enthusiast
In this case the measurements were not taken by me so I unfortunately cannot share them as they are not mine to share. If I have time this weekend I will take some measurements personally for you though.

Thanks but I'm happy with my stock 880...no plans to mess with a good thing...sounding better than ever out of my Pico!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis