Better than Plex for my purposes!?!

Photodan

Photodan

Enthusiast
I've burned all of my classical music collection to flac and am happy with the sound quality. I've installed and, after a lot of fiddling, find Plex to be merely okay for my purposes. I use my own local media assets and don't really want any help from an agent, like last.fm. In other words, my needs are relatively simple. I use a Roku 3 to stream Netflix, Amazon and Acorn to my HDTV and so I don't want any apps for streaming movies, TV shows or music. Right now I'm running Plex through my Roku and I suppose it's the Roku app that limits comments to a very short sentence.

What I'd like is good music-only server software that will allow me to add more than a short line of text for each album (comments, or "Review" in Plex.) It would be great if I could add a paragraph of information about a classical piece and the composer that would be on the TV screen while it played.

I might be looking for something that doesn't exist but if anyone here can make a recommendation I'd appreciate it. I've tried Serviio and XBMC and they offer less than Plex.

If you have a suggestion please let me know. If I find nothing here I'll settle for Plex.

Thanks,

old arkiedan

Frans

Frans

Junior Audioholic
It won't run on Roku, but otherwise, give JRiver a whirl.. Especially with their accompanied app JRemote. It's got more than enough tagging options and has a nice theater view for album art and what not. It has a small learning curve but if you set it up in audio only mode it shouldn't be too hard.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis