"Better than peakers costing many times the price..."

V

VS540

Junior Audioholic
Unregistered said:
Forgive me, but with 1.4 million, couldn't you buy an actual theater rather than a home theater?
That defeats the point...normal theaters (pardon the word here) SUCK. At least all the theaters I've ever been to. Just my current HT that has less than $15,000 put into it sounds much better, and has much better picture quality. Again as oppose to the 20 different theaters I've been to. I'm not saying all comercial theaters are bad, I'm sure there has to be some good ones out there.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Agree. A well set-up home theater can sound a whole lot better than any regular theater. Especially with hi-fi componentry. There's really not much hi-fi equipment in your corner theaters.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Let's all remember where the money goes in audio equipment. It is often said that the most expensive material in most speakers is generally the wood veneer. The box is said to be the most expensive part of an amplifier but I find that harder to believe. Certainly that applies to those ultraexorbitant speakers that used the last acre of some species of tree in the rainforest to make their veneer. I actually have an associate who is consulting me for am HT set up who actually said he is more concerned about the looks than the sound. Imagine saying this to a Vandersteen lover. If you've never seen Vandys they aren't going to win any awards for looks. Oh me of little wood!

Speaking of expenses that do not relate to the quality of the sound in overpriced products: Did anyone else read that Monster Cable bought the naming rights to Candlestick Park in San Francisco and it will now be called Monster Stadium? I am NOT making this up! :eek:

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Yeh, Monster Stadium....sponser of an 0 and 3 football team...ya gotta love it :D

Mort

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
Magnepan's are the only speakers I think fall into the "better than models costing many times their price". They simply offer something noticibly different at an extremely competitive price point.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis