Better than nothing? 3.0 to 5.1

Gimics

Gimics

Audiophyte
Hello!

I currently have a speaker setup that's primarily used to stream movies and shows and I'm considering expanding the setup to provide a better experience (particularly for movies).

My current setup consists of:
  • Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II Tower Speakers
  • Polk Audio TSi CS10 Center Channel
  • Sony STR-DH800 7.1 Channel AV Receiver
  • LG OLED55C9 TV

My current room specs:
  • Concrete floor and ceiling, steel stud walls covered with drywall, and floor to ceiling windows
  • The room is very open to the rest of the house, with windows on two sides (adjacent and opposite the TV) and a wall behind the TV
  • The size of the room itself is 12' x 11 1/2', with the footprint of the speaker and couch layout taking up 9' x 11 1/2'
  • Surround speakers would have to be placed on stands as there are only walls of windows adjacent to the couch.
I don't have the sensitivity to audio to really appreciate spending a lot of money on the components, but can certainly still appreciate quality over cost. My spending habits tend to land in the "the best value product in this category" range, at the time of purchase. All of my audio equipment is around 10 years old now. To use car stereos as an example, I might spend $1,000 to upgrade an OEM stereo from a 4/10 to a 7/10, but I wouldn't spend another $1,000 to upgrade it from a 7 to an 8.

I'm debating purchasing a relatively inexpensive set of surround speakers and subwoofer to complete a 5.1 setup, but I'm really curious if "something is better than nothing"? The products I've been looking at are very entry-level, with the intent of filling out my room and adding a bit of bass (and not necessarily to "upgrade" the overall sound quality).

For surround speakers, I've been looking at:
  • Polk Audio S10 Satellites
  • Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers

And for subwoofers, I've been looking at:
  • Polk Audio PSW10
  • Polk Audio PSW111

I live in Canada so speaker selection is a bit limited (or... the price of importing makes certain selections a bit cost-prohibitive), but I'm definitely not trying to stick with Polk for any other reason.

Would filling out my setup with the above be "better than nothing"? Or how compelling would your argument be to go with better surround and subwoofer options? I've looked at subwoofer options from BIC, SVS, or RSL Speakers, but each is a jump in price ($500- $800 Canadian vs around $200 for the Polks). I'm not sure what other options would be decent for the surrounds on their own - would love to hear some for you guys.

I don't really have a budget to provide - just keep in mind my spending style as mentioned above. It would be easy for me to drop $400 on the sub and surrounds if they were going to be as good as the system I already have, but if there is an argument like "spend more than double to receive more than triple the quality" kind of thing, I could be persuaded.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Hello!

I don't really have a budget to provide - just keep in mind my spending style as mentioned above. It would be easy for me to drop $400 on the sub and surrounds if they were going to be as good as the system I already have, but if there is an argument like "spend more than double to receive more than triple the quality" kind of thing, I could be persuaded.

Thanks in advance!
I am not the best guy to answer your question, but it might help if you provided a working budget. Other wise, I like the give me the best value/performance for the least money when it comes to cars, ht equipment and women.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello!

I currently have a speaker setup that's primarily used to stream movies and shows and I'm considering expanding the setup to provide a better experience (particularly for movies).

• LG OLED55C9 TV

My current room specs:
  • Concrete floor and ceiling, steel stud walls covered with drywall, and floor to ceiling windows
  • The room is very open to the rest of the house, with windows on two sides (adjacent and opposite the TV) and a wall behind the TV
  • The size of the room itself is 12' x 11 1/2', with the footprint of the speaker and couch layout taking up 9' x 11 1/2'
  • Surround speakers would have to be placed on stands as there are only walls of windows adjacent to the couch.
I don't have the sensitivity to audio to really appreciate spending a lot of money on the components, but can certainly still appreciate quality over cost. My spending habits tend to land in the "the best value product in this category" range, at the time of purchase. All of my audio equipment is around 10 years old now. To use car stereos as an example, I might spend $1,000 to upgrade an OEM stereo from a 4/10 to a 7/10, but I wouldn't spend another $1,000 to upgrade it from a 7 to an 8.

I'm debating purchasing a relatively inexpensive set of surround speakers and subwoofer to complete a 5.1 setup, but I'm really curious if "something is better than nothing"? The products I've been looking at are very entry-level, with the intent of filling out my room and adding a bit of bass (and not necessarily to "upgrade" the overall sound quality).

For surround speakers, I've been looking at:
  • Polk Audio S10 Satellites
  • Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers

And for subwoofers, I've been looking at:
  • Polk Audio PSW10
  • Polk Audio PSW111

I live in Canada so speaker selection is a bit limited (or... the price of importing makes certain selections a bit cost-prohibitive), but I'm definitely not trying to stick with Polk for any other reason.

Would filling out my setup with the above be "better than nothing"? Or how compelling would your argument be to go with better surround and subwoofer options? I've looked at subwoofer options from BIC, SVS, or RSL Speakers, but each is a jump in price ($500- $800 Canadian vs around $200 for the Polks). I'm not sure what other options would be decent for the surrounds on their own - would love to hear some for you guys.

Thanks in advance!
Pictures of your room would help. It sounds though as if 5.1 might be a downgrade. There are far too many surround systems put into unsuitable rooms..

Polk subs are awful, so I would look at SVS and especially HSU as they are good value. That is probably the best place to start. A really good 3.1 system gives a very good movie experience, and so does a good 2.1 for that matter. I always advise quality over quantity when it come to speakers.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hello!

Thanks in advance!
Go with another sub...you will get more return on the purchase....HSU, SVS are good value/performance subs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello!

• LG OLED55C9 TV
Since you are in Canada, you probably should just try to get the best deal you can get on the Polk surround speakers for now and forget about the AVR upgrade until things settle (the C-19 recession). Only 6-9 months ago, there were great deals, better than those in the US, for very decent AVRs such as Denon/Marantz's but now they are either out of stock or at ridiculously high prices.

Good subwoofers seem to be in similar situation in terms of price and availability. Your room is small, so you may want to wait for Bestbuy sales on low cost models such as the Polk PSW111. It had been on sale at the $180-190 price range (Amazon) last year. Obviously not as good as the $699 SVS PB1000, but in terms of better than nothing, I am sure you will be happy enough with it than without it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Being movie-centric, absolutely add a subwoofer. The listening space isn’t that big but being open to other spaces is what the subwoofer/s have to deal with. So as mentioned, HSU is the value leader imo, and how much you should spend should be determined by how much you’re comfortable with. Keep in mind though, a decent sub starts at about 500 bucks, and this is probably the best one at that price.

It’s only a 10” but is a great little sub.

Another popular one at that price point is the pb1000. IMO, the mono is better, but SVS has CS that monoprice or almost anyone can compete with.

For 200 more, this is a bargain, and will destroy either of the two I just linked.
While diminishing returns does affect subs, it doesn’t usually come until you’re spending much more than this. However what’s a lot worse, is going cheap, and having to upgrade later when the bargain sub is boomy and annoying just adding distortion.
For me, the only “bargain sub” is the Dayton sub1200.

You can get two for 300 bucks, and will be just as good/better than any Polk(except possibly the newer HST)
The other bargain option is by BIC

But I’d be wary of longevity issues, and iffy CS.
Quality bass is an investment and can elevate the entire system.

As for adding surrounds. I’m of the opinion that something is better than nothing. So long as you intend to address the quality at some point. Take a serious look at CL and eBay. There are many decent speakers available that would work great for you, and for little investment, get you going. Then after awhile(unless you get the just right ones) you can get better ones. We’ve all started somewhere, and since you’re interested in 5.1, I say add speakers and a sub/s. Over time you’ll learn what you like/dislike and how to deal with those things.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis