Best way to run subwoofers “hot”

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
what is the most efficient way to turn up the subwoofers after calibration?
is it to:
1. Turn up the gain on each subwoofer.
2.turn up the subwoofer in the setup menu
3. turn up the channel level adjust in the option menu

receiver is Denon x4500h. Thanks for your input.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Roger that! It’s more streamlined and a more consistent reference point that doing it at the subwoofer.
And I THINK(not sure anymore) the channel level menu reverts back to the Audyssey setting after a power cycle. I’ve had a few AVR’s that did that. Btw, I love that you got the 590’s. I’ve read that they are very similar to my older JBL studio series but I’m very interested in that newer horn.(plus I think they look cooler
The HDI series looks excellent as well.
Anyway, congratulations.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not on the sub. Some avrs have a quick/temporary setting but don't think your Denon does that so either of the methods in the avr.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There are a couple ways actually. I use the channel level adjust under the options button on my remote. No reason outside of fewer button presses to get there.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Not on the sub. Some avrs have a quick/temporary setting but don't think your Denon does that so either of the methods in the avr.
I'm really glad you guys are talking about this I was bored this weekend and was calling SVS and asked them this same question they said to calibrate your subs that leaves mine at -7 then to turn the volume up to taste from the sub not the avr but they have the advantage of you can just do that from your phone you don't have to get up to do it hmmmm that's interesting to hear different ways to do it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm really glad you guys are talking about this I was bored this weekend and was calling SVS and asked them this same question they said to calibrate your subs that leaves mine at -7 then to turn the volume up to taste from the sub not the avr but they have the advantage of you can just do that from your phone you don't have to get up to do it hmmmm that's interesting to hear different ways to do it
Biggest thing would be repeatability and precise control....most subs don't have that feature.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Biggest thing would be repeatability and precise control....most subs don't have that feature.
Makes sense so for example on my anthem avm 60 it's at -7 on the avr do I move that up to -4 say to bump it up or down or do I use the tone control buttons on the remote and bump the subwoofer input up on that it stays at -7 but on the tone controls I'd bump it up to +5 say for example

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Makes sense so for example on my anthem avm 60 it's at -7 on the avr do I move that up to -4 say to bump it up or down or do I use the tone control buttons on the remote and bump the subwoofer input up on that it stays at -7 but on the tone controls I'd bump it up to +5 say for example
Well the bass tone control and sub trim level are different things, at least on all my avrs. I don't use the bass/treble controls at all....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well the bass tone control and sub trim level are different things, at least on all my avrs. I don't use the bass/treble controls at all....
Do you mind me asking why you don't? I'm just wanting to learn is all

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you mind me asking why you don't? I'm just wanting to learn is all
A bass tone control is just limited....and I'd have to stop using other eq (like Audyssey/DynamicEQ) plus its range is fixed...on your avm60 it seems to not be defined in the manual that I can see as to what frequency range it affects either. In my avr the graphic eq has more options as far as what frequencies to boost/cut but again that can also only be used when Audyssey/DynamicEQ is off. I prefer using DynamicEQ's general loudness compensation routine at less than reference volumes, rather than the tone control or graphic eq. Yamaha avrs have adjustable PEQ (parametric eq), which is a nice feature and more flexible than a graphic eq or single bass tone control. How flexible is ARC in your Anthem for this sort of thing?

Maybe try this thread for some more information https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/tone-controls-what-do-they-do.93844/

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis