Best way to hook up JBL Eon 615s to a new Denon Receiver

H

HouseSlinger

Audiophyte
Hi all, first time poster but long time audio lover. I bought a pair of JBL EON 615 PA speakers and I am trying to figure out the best way to hook this up to a new 7.2 Denon Receiver (at work or I would have the model #). Right now I have these beasts hooked up to the front headphone jack with a couple of splitters. This works but I am thinking about adding some additional speakers to get the surround sound going which leads me to a couple questions:

1. What type of cables/connectors would you recommend? The speakers can use either XLR or 1/4 and I am currently using two 1/4 instrument cables (one for each channel), but I just read somewhere that you should never use instrument cables... I would prefer to get to banana plugs to the receiver, but I am not sure if the RCA connectors are just as good.
2. Since these speakers are self powered, any concerns there hooking it up to a receiver that expects to be powering the speakers? I am open to getting a mixer if that would be better and find a way to hook up the mixer to the receiver, but I am assuming that will lose any Atmos or Dolby sound output.
3. I am not exaggerating with the use of beasts above and even with speaker volume settings, do you think regular home theater speakers will have a chance to be heard with these? The review I read that convinced me to buy these speakers said they melt faces....and I can also say that is not an exaggeration. For example is a sound bar even going to be worth it here, ie will it not get drowned out by these?

I was also considering just leaving these for stereo music play and get a normal home theater package for the surround sound, but I love these speakers too much not to try to incorporate them with the surround. Thanks in advance for the help and any suggestions you may have!

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The EONs are great speakers, but they are designed for Pro-Audio mobile/portable systems not home theater..
We use multiple pairs frequently for our weddings, DJ gigs...
Assuming U only want Stereo L/R setup for now, but make sure your Denon AVR has Front L/R Pre-Outs.
With all that said if U want to use them for your front L/R speakers for a HomeTheater system do the following:
On the Denon OSD menu system set the Front L/R speakers to LARGE
2. On the Denon OSD menu system set Subwoofer/LFE, Surround R/L Speakers, Back Surround L/R Speakers to OF
F
3. Connect a male RCA > RCA audio cable from the Denon Pre-Outs to each EON Line input
4. Depending upon which model EON U have U may need (2) 1/4" Mono male phone plug > RCA female audio adapters
5. Set the EON input to Line IN, Level control about 50% rotation
6. Set the
Denon AVR volume up to about -15dB

Now turn ON the Denon AVR & EONs to like an FM radio source, adjust the volume level of the EON's and Denon for the target volume listening level. Note for best performance of the EON's and the lowest distortion keep the EON gain controls @ a conservative point. If U want to raise the system volume, do it on the Denon 1st.
Post back if more
questions.

Just my $0.02.. ;)

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Accommodations to make the JBLs useful as mains in your application are not necessary, just send L and R preouts from AVR to the JBLs. If your preouts are not balanced buy an RCA to XLR cable.

B

Brettc

Audioholic
Just curious what progress you’ve made ? I was thinking of doing the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis