Best way to connect speaker wires to SVS speaker terminals..

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
What do you all use to add to the ends of the speaker wires to get them connected to the speaker terminals?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Common options:
Bare ends.
Tin the bare ends with solder.
Spades.
Banana Plugs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well, sort of.
The audio equivalent... for speakers. More like these. Not a recommendation. I personally do not like spades as many report they can come loose easily.

I use banana plugs from monoprice, their affinity line.
Available in straight and 90º options, dual opposing set screws.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
These?

I have a kit like that for diy speakers/subs, for connections inside the speakers....

ps to answer your question, I generally just use banana plugs (Sewell Silverbacks are my preferred flavor). If you're not going to change connections frequently then just bare wire ends is easier (there's no sound quality advantage to using a connector unless they come loose or something...)

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, sort of.
The audio equivalent... for speakers. More like these. Not a recommendation. I personally do not like spades as many report they can come loose easily.

I use banana plugs from monoprice, their affinity line.
Available in straight and 90º options, dual opposing set screws.
Mine are clones of these. Same thing, different jacket. I look for dual set screws too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL Pogre's and mine are basically the same ones with different branding. Nakamichi sells 'em too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
LOL Pogre's and mine are basically the same ones with different branding. Nakamichi sells 'em too.
Yeah, mine are Nakamichi. I just copied the first ones on Amazon I saw that looked the same. There are a bunch of different brandings on that same plug, lol.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
BTW- Nakamichi is only a brand name, now- the company as we knew it is long gone.

That said, their gold RCA plugs were incredibly difficult to solder to because any solder that was commonly available would come off easily because it didn't contain Antimony.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So, I have the Nakamichis as well. What is interesting is that mine have phillips head screws instead of flat head screws. This makes it SO much easier to deal with when you are working on dozens at a time as I sometimes have to deal with.

I always end up slipping off the screw with a flat head screwdriver and stabbing myself in the finger. Often drawing blood.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So, I have the Nakamichis as well. What is interesting is that mine have phillips head screws instead of flat head screws. This makes it SO much easier to deal with when you are working on dozens at a time as I sometimes have to deal with.

I always end up slipping off the screw with a flat head screwdriver and stabbing myself in the finger. Often drawing blood.
Yeah I'd prefer philips head, didn't know there were any! I do have just the right screwdriver for the slot screws which helps....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah I'd prefer philips head, didn't know there were any! I do have just the right screwdriver for the slot screws which helps....
Extron, one of the major commercial manufacturers, often includes a small screwdriver, which we all call 'tweakers' in the business. Look up 'Extron Tweakers' to see them, and to see what people do with them artistically.

Extron used to include them in EVERY single product they made. They used to include so many that they would have a art contest for the best use of the little screwdrivers. I have a Extron shirt that reads "Manufacturer of tweakers and other fine products" with a closeup view of the little screwdriver.

Anyway... the size of the flat head is appropriate for the phoenix connectors used on their products, and is also the right size for use on the banana plugs. It's like a #1 flat head or something like that. I actually have a Rigid screwdriver set that works much better due to the overall build quality that I typically use, but I have about 100 tweakers that I can grab (and lose) whenever I need them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Extron, one of the major commercial manufacturers, often includes a small screwdriver, which we all call 'tweakers' in the business. Look up 'Extron Tweakers' to see them, and to see what people do with them artistically.

Extron used to include them in EVERY single product they made. They used to include so many that they would have a art contest for the best use of the little screwdrivers. I have a Extron shirt that reads "Manufacturer of tweakers and other fine products" with a closeup view of the little screwdriver.

Anyway... the size of the flat head is appropriate for the phoenix connectors used on their products, and is also the right size for use on the banana plugs. It's like a #1 flat head or something like that. I actually have a Rigid screwdriver set that works much better due to the overall build quality that I typically use, but I have about 100 tweakers that I can grab (and lose) whenever I need them.
Mine's a small Snap-on my brother gave me (he was a dealer at the time), "for electronics". Works well on phoenix, too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis