Best way to compensate for too short subwoofer cable?

J

jah732

Audiophyte
I have been moving my subwoofer around and I found the best spot for it in my setup. Unfortunately, though, becasue of the convoluted route the cable must take in order not to get stepped on or tripped over, my 25' Acoustic Research Pro Series II subwoofer cable is a few feet too short. I am now weighing my options and would appreciate opinions.

1) leave subwoofer where it is -- advantage - cable is long enough there; disadvantage - subwoofer is not in optimal position (it is more or less in the middle of a pathway with no wall behind it and vulnerable to being knocked when someone at the dining room table pushes back her/his chair)

2) buy expensive custom made cable -- advantage - would be long enough to place subwoofer where I want it; disadvantage - rather expensive option for my very modest setup (cheapest found so far is about $125)

3) buy female-female RCA coupler and another AR subwoofer cable -- advantage - cable would be long enough; disadvantage - degradation of signal perhaps??

4) try to make my own RCA cable -- advantage - cheaper than custom made cable from experts; disadvantage - I am incompetent when it comes to wiring and doubt I would do a good job.

I would appreciate opinions or advice

Thanks

jah732

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Go with option #3. A coupler should work fine. There should not be any signal loss at all of it's a good fit. Sounds like a trip to Rat Shack! This sounds like the cheapest altenative and will have no negative effect on your sound.

Shinerman

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis