Best way to clean speaker and amp terminals

itschris

itschris

I suspect some of my connections may have some oxidation. I get little bits of static through some of my speakers. My interconnects are 12-15 years old (Monster M1000's ... yes I know .... Monster, but these were the only game in town for decent cables back then). I think over the years living in FL there may be some oxidation on the inputs of the amp and cable connections.

Is there an effective method of cleaning them?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
What you should do depends on the materials of which the contacts are made, as well as how much oxidation we are discussing. For example, gold plating can be scraped off if one is too vigorous in one's cleaning.

If there is light oxidation, many times, simply removing them and reconnecting them will be enough. For more, there are various polishes and cleaning products that you can buy. DeoxIT is a popular product for electrical contacts.

Personally, if they do not look corroded, I would simply unplug them and replug them in, rotating RCA connectors as one pulls them off and puts them back on. The same for banana connectors.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I would simply unplug them and replug them in, rotating RCA connectors as one pulls them off and puts them back on. The same for banana connectors.
Agree. It was the normal first step on our mfg lines upon certain errors in testing. Though they were new-builds, the connectors could have possibly become dirty or a bit oxidized, so unless we saw a trend that needed investigating, simply "cleaning" the connectors via the mechanical action of plug/unplug/plug was our first step. If your problem is oxidation, yet it is slight enough that it is just a "suspicion", I would also try Pyrrho's advice first.

But please do me one favor... nix the comments about a 15 year old amp. If my wife sees that a distinguished moderator uses 15 year old stuff, it could be very hard for me to convince her about future upgrades.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If my terminals look visibly oxidized, which happens very rarely, I clean them with DeoxIT and a q-tip. If you have something that does not come off with that and a little plug/unplug like Pyrrho said, I'd say it is an issue.

itschris

itschris

My Sunfire Amp is probably 16 years old now that I think about it. I love that amp and still use the big fat Monster M1000 interconnects I bought when I got it. It looks and performs brand new and I'll never get rid of it. I have my Pioneer Elite Receiver that is probably 5 years old now. I thought about just using the power from the Pio and repurposing the Sunfire or even selling it... but while I've never ever claimed to have golden ears, the difference in sound was pretty obivious on the tracks I knew well. I love that Amp and I'm never getting rid of it. I orignally bought that when I first got my condo and got into home theater. Prior to that I had two big monster Adcom Monoblocks in the spare bedroom which consisted of a super comfortable chair and carefully placed amps, preamp, CD-changer (the Adcom I still use today that's in my signature) and speakers. Then I got engaged.

The "good stuff" never goes out of style and rarely fails you. That's actually why I like seperates so much. Processing changes all the time. Good awesome power does not. Invest heavily in amps, less so in processing since you're likely going to be envious of the new stuff every three under the very best scenario. I only bought the Pioneer because I always wanted to own a piece of the Elite series and I thought I could have another listening room in our new house where the Sunfire could go. That didn't happen. To do it over, I probably would have the Integra or Anthem pre/pro.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Whenever I get statics it's because I have a loose connection. Make sure everything is tightened up.

Bryan G

Bryan G

Audiophyte
If my terminals look visibly oxidized, which happens very rarely, I clean them with DeoxIT and a q-tip. If you have something that does not come off with that and a little plug/unplug like Pyrrho said, I'd say it is an issue.
I know this is an old thread, but thanks for that tip. I have the same problem but in my car. I found this post using Google searching for RCA oxidize. It usually happens when the whether changes, spring and fall. My last system I had from 1984 through 1999 and for years I had to constantly get in the trunk and spin the RCA jacks to wear off the oxidation. My current system is about 5 years old and it's starting to happen. I'm too old to keep going in the trunk, hopefully this deoxIT will fix the problem. Thanks.

RitaSanchez

RitaSanchez

Audiophyte
I know this is an old thread, but thanks for that tip. I have the same problem but in my car. I found this post using Google searching for RCA oxidize. It usually happens when the whether changes, spring and fall. My last system I had from 1984 through 1999 and for years I had to constantly get in the trunk and spin the RCA jacks to wear off the oxidation. My current system is about 5 years old and it's starting to happen. I'm too old to keep going in the trunk, hopefully this deoxIT will fix the problem. Thanks.
agree

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis