Best Video Connections?

B

boboh1

Audiophyte
I have heard that as far as the video is concerned, it is best to bypass the AV receiver. Should I then connect the Directv box and the DVD player directly into the TV and the audio into the AV receiver so I can play the sound through the surround sound system? Thanks.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
You bet.

I prefer to run mine through the receiver for "switch on the fly" opperation. Makes it easy for the wife.;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
boboh1 said:
I have heard that as far as the video is concerned, it is best to bypass the AV receiver. Should I then connect the Directv box and the DVD player directly into the TV and the audio into the AV receiver so I can play the sound through the surround sound system? Thanks.

Either way is fine. Can your TV accept those two inputs? If so, that is fine as well, if you don't mind all the video selections on the TV and audio source on the receiver.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
boboh1 said:
I have heard that as far as the video is concerned, it is best to bypass the AV receiver.
This is typically not true. No well built receiver will hurt the video by passing it through it before going onto your TV. You can try it and see if you notice ANY difference in video quality.

If you do want to keep them separate, and have enough video inputs to handle what you need, then you have things correct. Run audio to the recevier and video to the TV by-passing the receiver. Just remember, you have to switch your TV and your receiver anytime you switch from one source to another.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver video switching

You should have no problem switching component video and other analog video on the receiver. However, I have read about several hickups with HDMI switching on the receiver due to incompatabilities between the set top box, receiver, and HDTV.

A programable remote like a Harmany will allow you to easily adjust the video input mode on the TV at the same time as the audio input on the Receiver with a single button press.

B

boboh1

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input, sort to speak. I have HDMI from my Directv to the TV. I will connect the DVD player component video to the TV. Then digital audio connections from both to the AVR. I guess then I have to just switch the input sources on the TV and AVR for each.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis