Best Valued Used Bookshelf Speakers

J

JonJ

Audiophyte
hi,

A classic staple? A well known/tried and true? But inexpensive.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice from the experts. I'm living in a small apartment. I have one wall of my bedroom that's all book shelves.

So, I'm looking to buy a pair of used "bookshelf" speakers. And I came here for advice on, perhaps, a few different models that I could look for on ebay.

I'm looking for the best "value". A pair around or even under (preferably) 200 dollars.

perhaps eventually even a decent sub-woofer recomend ... used and cheap?

I realize that most of you audiophiles are searching for the elite, most prized and high end. But, I'm not in that class here. I'm just wondering if everyone of you know, just off hand, that 'such and such' speakers are a 'cheap classic' fix for what you need.

I want to thank you all in advance for your time and consideration.

Jon

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You wont find better value, than pair of Behringer 2030p [$130] and Dayton Sub-12 [$150]

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Used you say?

I'll throw my hat into the ring with the Celestion 3 & 5

These speakers often go for less than $200 on eBay. They use excellent quality drivers and have an excellent sound to them that I've not honestly heard out of many speakers costing much more.

In the new market the Behringer 2030p reighns supreme. Another good bookshelf speaker to look at new would be the Infinity Primus 160 or 162 in your price range. The Infinitys use excellent quality drivers as well, but their cabinets are not as good as the Behringers, nor are the Celestions.

J

JonJ

Audiophyte
thanks so much guys. Anybody else got a recomend? Anyone?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
you might not find them brand new but go on ebay and look at the minimus bookshelves, i own a pair and they have very good sound but do require a sub

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
yepimonfire said:
you might not find them brand new but go on ebay and look at the minimus bookshelves, i own a pair and they have very good sound but do require a sub
While those are impressive speakers that belay their size, they are still no competition for a full range bookshelf speaker. Although to those interested the Minimus 7s often go for around $40-$50 used on ebay. If you look carefully you may find the RCA or Optimus brand versions of this speaker as well for even cheaper because people often don't search for it under those brand names.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
i would stay away from rca speakers, i had a pair once and they had a freq respnse of 150hz-12khz with a huge increase in SPL between 150-300hz (around 3db higher then the rest of the spkr)

J

jamie2112

Banned
2030p is my vote as well.You are not going to get better sound out of a bookshelf for anywhere near the cost of the Behringer's.......add a sub as BSA said and bam you are doing well.......

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
What country do you live in JonJ. This will effect your buying decisions a lot for such a low budget? The prices noted thus far reflect United States USD currency.

J

JonJ

Audiophyte
hey guys ... I'm in the USA too.

Thanks so much for the input.

I have met so many people over the years that are total snobs. And I'm always impressed by great sounding audio. However, I'm embarased by my financial limits.

I had a room mate once who had inifinity speakers and another with polk audio speakers. I think, back then, they were expensive.

But, I will take all of your advice into consideration.

Does most everyone agree with the Behringers?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I can't think of anyone that doesn't agree on the Behringers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you want more bass and aren't as critical about the midrange, you could also consider the 2031p :) but my preference would lean toward the 2030p with a sub.

J

JonJ

Audiophyte
thanks again guys ... I'm open to any advice on inexpensive used stereo components that wow the ears.

(Items from yesteryear that have held the test of time.)

Which reminds me; I own:

1. Adcom GFA-2 stereo Amp. My mom's boyfriend got two of them at an estate sale for 30 bucks a piece. Are they any good? Or would I do better with something else?

2. Pioneer VSX-3300 A/V Stereo Receiver - I really don't know much about either of these two receivers.

so any Advice from here ... let me know.

-- Your pal,
Jonathan

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The Pioneer is a rather basic stereo receiver. Should power the Behringers to reasonable levels. Assuming the Adcom works it's a good amplifier, better than the Pioneer. The problem with the amplifier is you need a receiver with preamp outputs or a separate preamplifier to use it. The Pioneer receiver doesn't have preamp outputs, so you are no go for using the Adcom at this time. It's certainly worth $30 unless it's totally destroyed.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Thats an old pioneer receiver, but would probably work just fine with the Behringers, You wouldn't need anything else, except for speaker cable of course.

The adcom is an older, but nice amplifier. It will require a pre-amp however. If you can find a decent preamp this could make a pretty nice 2 channel setup.

EDIT: Darn you Seth

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
i would stay away from rca speakers, i had a pair once and they had a freq respnse of 150hz-12khz with a huge increase in SPL between 150-300hz (around 3db higher then the rest of the spkr)
actually the minimus 7's were sold by radio shack under the RCA name for a while so it is possible to get the minimus labled as RCA and its still the infamous minimus 7's

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'll put my vote in for the behringers as well. I have them and certainly can't complain. I bought the b2031p because I wasn't going to use a sub, but now I wish i got the B2030p instead because I got a sub. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but there are mods for the b2030p's. I'll try and find them.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
I like Behringers .. but I likeCambridge Audio S-30s better

hey guys ... I'm in the USA too.

Thanks so much for the input.

I have met so many people over the years that are total snobs. And I'm always impressed by great sounding audio. However, I'm embarased by my financial limits.

I had a room mate once who had inifinity speakers and another with polk audio speakers. I think, back then, they were expensive.

But, I will take all of your advice into consideration.

Does most everyone agree with the Behringers?

These aren't used, but they are great speakers. I have them on Sanus stands in my cabin. For a small speaker theyare ported and have great bass rated down to 55 Hz.

They go for $219 a pair free shipping and no taxes from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-S30-Speakers-Natural/dp/B00196SJOI They come in black or oak.

Also consider the Paradigm V.6 Atoms for around $249 per pair at you local HT store. http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/fronts-monitor-atommonitor-model-2-4-1-1.paradigm

Peace, Good Sound and Good Video,

Forest Man

P.S.- The Behringer 2030P Truth speakers are excellent also ;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
They are so tiny.:D They'd match the Teac Reference components very well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis