Best upcoming SciFi movie? Ever?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I remember looking at in the day it was on sale and put it down. I will have to look for it. How does it compare to Ghost in a Shell?
If you liked Ghost in the shell, you'd better off watching Netflix's Altered Carbon tbh.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If you liked Ghost in the shell, you'd better off watching Netflix's Altered Carbon tbh.
I've completed Altered Carbon and enjoyed it immensely. I mentioned Ghost in the Shell because opinions was split on this. I really liked Ghost in The Shell because I did NOT read the books or had any previous exposure to it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Again with the absolutes. Is it truly ALL of the reviews and ALL of the critics said this one is bad?
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/valerian-and-the-city-of-a-thousand-planets-2017
Yes, I am not arguing this movie had a somewhat weaker movie plot, acting wasn't all that great, but if you life SciFi - it wasn't that bad. Some even liked it. I guess I am partially biased since I've watched Valerian (animates) TV series from the late 90s.
OK, an overwhelming number of reviews were bad. There are always those who like something, and I know I have seen films well reviewed that I hated as well as ones that I liked that got negative reviews.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched it last night and thought it entertaining enough due to special FX.. The lead actor and actress sucked and his pining for her was frankly boring. Im glad I didnt buy this one. Ghost in A Shell, The Expanse, and Altered Carbon clobbered this one into the dirt.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also watched it last night (bluray rental). I enjoyed it despite it's shortcomings, it was fun enough to keep watching and may even pop it in again tonight for a second look. Some nice sfx and visuals and booms and cute girls and such. Would liked to have seen more Rutger Hauer but Luc Besson said he was trying to make up for his end in Blade Runner. Clive Owen as the commander was typical Clive Owen, a bit overdone.

I never read the zine it was based on so can't appreciate how it stuck to that (or was sticky because of it) but in watching some of the extras seemed they were trying to keep true to it to an extent.

Buy it? Maybe when it sells for $10.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If anyone is curious about this movie, it is now available on (Amazon) Prime TV!

I just watched it and thought it was pretty fun, although I was disappointed that "Because" was not actually in the movie soundtrack (only the trailer, I guess)!
Had I gone to the theater and paid money expecting an epic SciFi movie, I would have been disappointed.
However, the conversation here helped me to prepare my expectations so as to appreciate the comic book style campy and sophomoric humor. It is kind of stupid in a fun way, and if that makes no sense to you, you probably won't appreciate it.
I felt the early scene showing what an idyllic utopia planet Mul was, was a bit long, but it got better, then, once Ethan Hawke showed up as a pimp, it was great entertainment/action until the start of the last scene where they ended the movie defining their relationship (Valerian and Lorelei's) which I felt was either paying homage to the comic book fans or maybe to give it a bit of a "chick flick" dimension.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

Valerian B- Visually stunning. Story was just ok. Would like to see it in 3D.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis