Best Subwoofer Under/at $1000.00 (delivered)

R

ryounglaw

Junior Audioholic
OK - if you had to choose between the rythmik F15 or the G15SE which one. Also are the Rythmiks comp to ED - the watts are off by a mile. I think are the two that I am narrowing it down to for now

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I can suggest very high quality solutions that involve only buying pre-made/pre-finished sealed cabinets and the user only has to cut a hole for the driver and/or amplifier

-Chris
What would you suggest for cutting the hole? My shop class was years ago.

Just a handsaw?

annunaki

annunaki

Dayton Audio makes the Titanic 15" 1000 w/rms kit at $750. Everything is ready to go. All you have to do is mount the driver and connect the wires. Took me 20 minutes, and I am far from a Mr. Fixit kind of guy.
If that's still too much work, you can get one pre-assembled for another $200.
This is a good option, however, the sub that WmAx suggested will play a fair bit deeper than the Titanic MkIII kit. It will also easily have as much or more clean linear output.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
This is a good option, however, the sub that WmAx suggested will play a fair bit deeper than the Titanic MkIII kit. It will also easily have as much or more clean linear output.
Definitely true... I own that kit. It bottoms out at 25 Hz. However, it does a fairly decent job of filling up my approximately 10k cu ft. of space. I would definitely consider Wmax's solution instead. Honestly, I would've gone with his suggestion had I not read it *AFTER* I bought my Titanic setup (for a LOT less than $1k).

R

ryounglaw

Junior Audioholic
I think its between the rythmik F15 and the ED A7s-450 - the F15 by all acounts is tighter but the 450 will give me a deeper punch. Since i cannot hear them i am at a loss

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
I think its between the rythmik F15 and the ED A7s-450 - the F15 by all acounts is tighter but the 450 will give me a deeper punch. Since i cannot hear them i am at a loss
If the budget tops out at $1000 for the sub and you are unwilling to consider the DIY option which will yield you the most performance--I would not consider either of the subs you mentioned for music or home theater in a room the size of yours---you will NOT be happy with the performance. As it was mentioned early on dual subs would be ideal in a room that size...given the 35' length of the room. At the very least you need a fairly competent sub if you are only going to be using a single unit...

The Rythmik does not have the extension you want for HT in such a large room (or even a moderate size room for that matter) and there has been much said on here about the reliability of ED products on the forum and I would not buy from them...

The BEST bet you have given the $1000 budget is the new SVS PC-12+ with the new 12.4 driver--$949 plus shipping. This will give you the best performance from a single sub in your room at $1000 aside from the DIY option which has already been discussed....

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Dayton Audio makes the Titanic 15" 1000 w/rms kit at $750. Everything is ready to go. All you have to do is mount the driver and connect the wires. Took me 20 minutes, and I am far from a Mr. Fixit kind of guy.
If that's still too much work, you can get one pre-assembled for another $200.
The Dayton Titanik driver, even at 15", does not have anywhere near the linear displacement that the 12" I recommend has. It is an extraordinary 12" driver. I would recommend 1000 watts on the Eclipse 12", but I am not sure what plate amp can really do that. I doubt the Dayton amp makes more than 500-600 watts regardless of it's 1000W claim. The Dayton 1000W stand alone sub amp only produces about 600 watts maximum.

-Chris

R

ryounglaw

Junior Audioholic
Here is my lis now. It seems like this post has made it more difficult with all this great info.

A7-350
A7s-450
Rythmic - F15 or the G15SE
now maybe the Epik Castle
svs PC-12Plus

I have no clue, i am leaning toward the Rythmic beceasue i want deep tight response. I do not really need high output except my room is 3600 cubic feet. Will the F15 or G15Se handle that size.

Still i he an ole Polk PSW10, not really a sub so anything will blow me away. Thnaks for the help but i am still so unsure becasue i cannot hear them. Can soomeone give me an opinion about these subs in comparison

thanks
/S/ COnfused

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I agree, but was jut trying to make it as simple as I could.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Here is my lis now. It seems like this post has made it more difficult with all this great info.

A7-350
A7s-450
Rythmic - F15 or the G15SE
now maybe the Epik Castle
svs PC-12Plus

I have no clue, i am leaning toward the Rythmic beceasue i want deep tight response. I do not really need high output except my room is 3600 cubic feet. Will the F15 or G15Se handle that size.

Still i he an ole Polk PSW10, not really a sub so anything will blow me away. Thnaks for the help but i am still so unsure becasue i cannot hear them. Can soomeone give me an opinion about these subs in comparison

thanks
/S/ COnfused
Ryoung,

SVS just updated their b-stock page today and they have both one 20-39 PC+ and one new PC12+ (same build as the 20-39 just with the new 12.4 driver) on their....The 20-39 is $749 and the PC12 is $899....both good deals. I would jump on one of these:

https://svsound.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=12

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know how much better the new PC12+ is over the 20-39PC+, but for $150 less I would definitely get the 20-39. I snatched up that PB10-NSD from the b stock page as soon as I saw it.

C

calnbs

Audioholic
I offer very specific advice, and a multitude of options based on the capability of the person. I can suggest very high quality solutions that involve only buying pre-made/pre-finished sealed cabinets and the user only has to cut a hole for the driver and/or amplifier and connect the wires. No skill at all is required for this. I do not point people to other websites for advice, and I personally make sure that the user knows all of the variables involved if they actually want to do the project. But so far, no one in this thread has actually asked about anything even remotely specific. But since you asked..... here is a no skill required 'DIY' project that will give you higher SPL and lower distortion, than any of the product recommended from commercial vendors so far except maybe the 15" slot ported AV123 option, but I would wager the distortion will be much higher on the AV123 as compared to the following solution:

For $650-$700, one can build a superb sealed 12" subwoofer that will radically outperform most commercial products costing several times as much. For the non-skilled person, I recommend at this price, the Eclipse SW8200 12" driver(it has more linear displacement than most 15" drivers), which is an extraordinary quality device designed by TC Sounds. It has 3x the linear excursion(as verified in 3rd party Klippel analysis) of a normal very high quality 12" driver. Use the 3 cubic foot Dayton Audio sealed pre-fab cabinet, it comes finished in textured black paint. Use the O Audio 500 watt BASH amplifier. It has just enough power and the needed parametric EQ band to get the desired smooth response in this cabinet with this woofer. The amplifier is very high quality, and even made in North America(Canada), and has been measured/verified by 3rd party to be a quality amplification device. Actual output power into 4 Ohm load, continuous, is 430 watts.

If the person won't even cut a hole, then they can take the cabinet, driver and amp down to any car audio shop and they will cut the holes and install the parts for less then 50 dollars.

Driver: $190+shipping
Cabinet: $190+shipping
Amp: $230+shipping

-Chris
Chris/Wmax,

As much as I like my AV123 MFW 15. I still feel I am missing something. My next sub will definately be what you are suggesting here. I am dying to try it out myself sometime within this year. Been kinda scared to do it because I have no knowlege when it comes to doing this kind of stuff. So is the above statement all the information I need? Would this set up be an improvement over my MFW? Let me know.

I remember the first time putting together my first gaming PC for $1500....with the same specs from Dell Computer, their PC selling at $2,200. I did it with instructions from a magazine. LOL.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

Ok guys, I need some help. I am new to high end HT and want some advice. I have $1000.00 for buy a new sub, no more including delivery. My room HT is set up an old refurbished townhouse and is basically the entire first floor, I know not the best. The room is 35 long x 8 high x 13 feet wide (3,640 cubic feet). Though we may not be here for long that’s the situation now. I have heard so much about svs and hsu and outlaw. What would be the best sub in that price range given my room specs?
Warp is selling both of his SVS PB12-Plus/2. With shipping one of those would fit in your budget and would have quite a bit more SPL than what you could get new.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51327

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
I like my MFW-15, but I haven't heard a whole lot of subs either. It can shake my leg muscle on my bone during Master & Commander, so I figure that's pretty good.

My grandfather couldn't wrap his mind around how a speaker could make such a tactile experience. Now that is the fun in building a whoop-*** theater.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I like my MFW-15, but I haven't heard a whole lot of subs either. It can shake my leg muscle on my bone during Master & Commander, so I figure that's pretty good.

My grandfather couldn't wrap his mind around how a speaker could make such a tactile experience. Now that is the fun in building a whoop-*** theater.
Mine often feel like they are punching me in the chest...can't complain about that. If I did, they may just punch me harder! :)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Chris/Wmax,

As much as I like my AV123 MFW 15. I still feel I am missing something. My next sub will definately be what you are suggesting here. I am dying to try it out myself sometime within this year. Been kinda scared to do it because I have no knowlege when it comes to doing this kind of stuff. So is the above statement all the information I need? Would this set up be an improvement over my MFW? Let me know.

I remember the first time putting together my first gaming PC for $1500....with the same specs from Dell Computer, their PC selling at $2,200. I did it with instructions from a magazine. LOL.
It will be an improvement in terms of SQ; the driver here is top notch in regards to linearity. But you will probably lose some maximum SPL, especially using only the 500 watt amp. A bridged Behringer Ep2500 would be a better solution, but you need to have a parametric EQ band available if you for 3 cubic feet sealed enclosure with the SW8200 driver. If you want to have the SQ and even grater SPL, you would build the slot ported Kappa Perfect subwoofer design.

-Chris

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
You have a type in your Signature.

"SVS BP 12-Ultra" Should be PB no?

Oh, I made a mistake buying SVS.

:D

SheepStar
Quite right. it is a PB not a BP I think I must have sexlexia.
sorry to hear you didn't like your SVS. that's why I said you wont find many that didn't like them, not that everybody likes them.

R

ryounglaw

Junior Audioholic
If I wanted to build it, DIY

Where do I start? It needs to look nice, nice finish in hte premade box. Its going to be in a living room in a townhouse for now. Some of the online store subs come with nice finish. I know its not a big deal to some but the future wife willl care since she is buying it for me. PRETTY COOL. Thanks guys. If its really true I can blow the socks off of a store bought show me how. I want smething that looks nice that I don't have to replace in a few years. quality s imprtant.

Thanks

ryoung

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis