Best Sub under $1000?

Iblagdan

Iblagdan

Audiophyte
I recently bought a Denon AVR-3805 receiver, a pair of Paradigm Studio 60 V3 towers and a Studio CC-470 center channel. My next purchase is a subwoofer to pair with this system. I’ve heard good things about HSU and like the specs,look and cost of the VTF-3 Mk2. I’ve auditioned a Paradigm PW-2100 and wasn't that impressed, but may want listen to a PW-2200 before I buy. I've partially ruled out SVS due to how large and crinkle finished the sub $1000 subs are. My room is fairly large (4500 cubic feet) and I like tight, fast, musical base line that will integrate well with my main speakers and not sound like a bloated-bump-box in the corner of the room! Any comments based on personal experience?

T

tedmjr2

Junior Audioholic
I purchased the HSU VTF-3 MK2 after comparing with Paradigm's PW-2200 v2 at friend's home having both subs. It complements my Paradigm Studio 20s v3, CC-470 and SA-30s.

You may also want to consider the HSU's TN-1220HO w/250w amp if you have a couch up against the wall and want to hide it behind the couch to make the subwoofer physically transparent! Had I known before my purchase of the VTF-3, I would have done it this way. I'm still very happy with the HSU sub - no regrets.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

>>>I've partially ruled out SVS due to how large and crinkle finished the sub $1000 subs are. My room is fairly large (4500 cubic feet) and I like tight, fast, musical base line that will integrate well with my main speakers and not sound like a bloated-bump-box in the corner of the room! Any comments based on personal experience?<<<

The SVS black texture is actually *very* smooth now...I can send you a representative picture if you like. Just email me at SVS techsupport. At the $1000 price point, you should also consider going with a pair of $500 units. For example, a pair of CHT15s or JBL S120s stacked in the best corner of your room would fill up your 4500 cu-ft room pretty well..:)

Tom V.
SVS

Iblagdan

Iblagdan

Audiophyte
Unregistered said:
>>>I've partially ruled out SVS due to how large and crinkle finished the sub $1000 subs are. My room is fairly large (4500 cubic feet) and I like tight, fast, musical base line that will integrate well with my main speakers and not sound like a bloated-bump-box in the corner of the room! Any comments based on personal experience?<<<

The SVS black texture is actually *very* smooth now...I can send you a representative picture if you like. Just email me at SVS techsupport. At the $1000 price point, you should also consider going with a pair of $500 units. For example, a pair of CHT15s or JBL S120s stacked in the best corner of your room would fill up your 4500 cu-ft room pretty well..:)

Tom V.
SVS
Thanks Tom. What's your email at SVS?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Don't a couple of the SVS subs have a wood finish option now? Or is it just for the biggest bruisers?

Far be it from me to dictate what's aethetically acceptable, but bear in mind the sub needn't be out in plain sight. You could "conceal" it somewhat, or at least move it to a location where it's not so noticeable. Bass is mostly non-directional, and while you can't just plunk the sub down anywhere & get good results, many rooms offer several good locations.

Of course, I love the Basic Black look for gear! :D But that's just me.

T

Tom Vodhanel

Manufacturer
Hi Rob,

>>>Don't a couple of the SVS subs have a wood finish option now? Or is it just for the biggest bruisers?<<<

We have the cylindrical SS...and in the box form...the PB-1+ and PB-2Ultra are available in wood finish options. We hope to expand those choices in the near future though.

Tom V.
SVS

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis