Best Streaming Sound

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I have an Echo dot connected to my Denon 4500 via CD input and rca jacks. It produces an analog signal.
If I play Alexa through my IPhone I get AAC 256.
How can I get a digital signal into the receiver to stream music?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Use wifi/dlna is what I do but I don't have an iPhone. The Denon is Airplay enabled I believe, I'd just use that from your iPhone. The Echo Dot should be able to work over the network via dlna, tho.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have an Echo dot connected to my Denon 4500 via CD input and rca jacks. It produces an analog signal.
If I play Alexa through my IPhone I get AAC 256.
How can I get a digital signal into the receiver to stream music?
I use Apple TV 4K. You can use Apps on Apple TV like Pandora or stream with Airplay over WiFi from your iPhone such as Amazon Music The Apple TV is HDMI 2.0a to your AVR. Your iPhone is the remote. (Controller App). The remote it comes with is basically not really useful. If you use a modern receiver you can use that remote if HDMI HEC is compatible. I have Yamaha RXA2060.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
So would Roku, Appletv, and Firestick4k do the same thing?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So would Roku, Appletv, and Firestick4k do the same thing?
I think most of the same things not sure on bitrates . I’m not familiar with Roku or Fire but I’m sure others are.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It all depends on what you are trying to stream. Most streams suck balls, so there's that.

If you want the best quality, start with the best quality and go to sites which actually have high quality lossless streams.

From my understanding, all the major streaming players support lossless audio and should support high definition audio as well that is better than CD quality.

The hard part is that you then need to get audio that is CD quality or better to those devices. That's when you get into home streaming apps like Plex or Kodi as well as web-streaming apps which support lossless or HD audio as part of their program.

This all depends on your specifics of what you are trying to listen to and what quality you really want and are willing to pay for.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
128Kbps MP3 is not great but 256Kbps isn’t bad. CD and SACD bitrates are best of course. :)

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I just went online and looked at a video explaining what Plex is... I am so confused .my head hurts!

I have over 300 cd’s loaded on a. Old laptop via iTunes. I want to get my music back out of Apple’s control, put it in a form that provides the highest playback quality, and play it directly on my home stereo receiver, preferably without Bluetooth.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I just went online and looked at a video explaining what Plex is... I am so confused .my head hurts!
Plex CAN be very confusing if you start getting into the dirt with it, but that's not how you start.

You start with Plex by using a computer that you leave on all the time. Do you have one?

If so, then just load Plex onto it. That's it. Load Plex. There are a ton of tutorial videos, but really, it's just a program.
Once you have Plex loaded onto a computer, you can then open Plex and select 'ADD LIBRARY' (or something like that) to the 'MUSIC' section, and select the folder where you store all your music.

Plex will then add all that music to it's server. It will continue to scan the folder you designated for new music. So, as you add new stuff, it gets added to Plex.

Now, from almost any phone, smart TV, or smart streaming device (Roku, AppleTV, etc.) you can load Plex onto it. You login with your username/password, and you will have access to your Plex library. Your songs will be there and available to you.

I like Plex for how dead easy it was to setup. Took maybe half an hour total.... maybe an hour. I probably watched 3 or 4 hours of videos that all were basically going through the exact same setup process. After installing it, I wondered why I even bothered to watch any videos.

I did pay for their premium 'Plex Pass' service. This was because I wanted remote access to my videos, which this covered. Not sure how specific it is to the music experience, but I knew I wanted it for my videos. You can sign up monthly, then if you like it, you can buy the lifetime Plex Pass and never be bothered again. That's what I did.

If you have specific questions about Plex, there are a number of users on these forums that use it and have more details than I do about their service.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis