Best streaming device?

S

Slipkids88

Junior Audioholic
I have used Roku Ultra, Amazon Firestick, Firecubes etc. My go to device is the Apple TV 4k. It has a very quick interface, voice recognition that far exceeds the competition, and significantly more powerful CPU and memory.

That being said, I haven't tried the Nvidia Shield, so I will leave that to those who have already commented.
Nividea SHield Pro - best streamer on the market today.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I have used Roku Ultra, Amazon Firestick, Firecubes etc. My go to device is the Apple TV 4k. It has a very quick interface, voice recognition that far exceeds the competition, and significantly more powerful CPU and memory.

That being said, I haven't tried the Nvidia Shield, so I will leave that to those who have already commented.
Apple's tech is always a step behind.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Apple's tech is always a step behind.
Behind what.. your insightful response would be appreciated LOl

Apple TV 4k vs Fire TV Cube! Which Should YOU Buy? - Bing video

I realize this is just a random review, but it seems to be the case with many others I have looked at and many point out to the better color saturation/accuracy vs. other devices due to the color matching tech with phone.

The Apple 4K TV
  • Faster CPU, more powerful GPU
  • More main memory 4GB DDR4 vs 2GB on Cube II or III
  • 64/128GB of memory vs 16GB on the Cube II/III.
  • 1 GB Ethernet connection vs 10/100 on Cube II/III (Cube III supports WiFi 6E, but I hardware)
  • All the same video formats minus AV1 on the Cube III
  • All the same Audio Codecs, plays FLAC files now and Dolby MAT (With Amazon)
That being said, I thought Apple TV 4K was missing something on audio codecs from what I have read in the past, but I can't seem to dig it up. I tend to watch 4K Blurays when I play Atmos Movies, so to be honest, I haven't compared lately. I also use my NAS as a Plex Server to stream full bandwidth movies I have ripped.

I definitely prefer its voice commands, screen interface and lots of memory to store apps. I don't need another Alexa device, having 2 in the same room is very annoying lol. I have nothing against the Firecube, but definitely prefer Apple over the Cube. That may change as AV1 becomes more prevalent. or if Apple is unable to support it with the A15 Bionic (jury is still out if they can)

No Advertisements on Apple 4k TV which is also a big plus

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
AppleTV, not too long ago just got 4K HDR/Dolby Vision. You have to keep upgrading because Apple comes late to the party.
Even with their phones, Apple was late to OLED screens, wireless charging, they still don't have 8K video, while Samsung had that years ago.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Apple 4k TV 1st Gen had HDR 10 and Dolby Vision back in 2017, so that was 6 years ago. Granted Apple doesn't release a new version every year. What is nice is the newer A15 CPU/GPU will have the ability to support 8K from what I have read. That being said, 8K is so bleeding edge and there is little to no content yet, so not really a deal breaker. The 3rd Gen does have HDMI 2.1

I was sticking to the discussion on streaming devices, not iphones.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Apple 4k TV 1st Gen had HDR 10 and Dolby Vision back in 2017, so that was 6 years ago. Granted Apple doesn't release a new version every year. What is nice is the newer A15 CPU/GPU will have the ability to support 8K from what I have read. That being said, 8K is so bleeding edge and there is little to no content yet, so not really a deal breaker. The 3rd Gen does have HDMI 2.1

I was sticking to the discussion on streaming devices, not iphones.
I was making a general statement about Apple as it pertains to all of its devices, including the AppleTV streaming device. They seem to be late to the party.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was making a general statement about Apple as it pertains to all of its devices, including the AppleTV streaming device. They seem to be late to the party.
They might be late sometimes but the user experience is almost always better.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Nvidia shield pro for this reason alone.

Dolby true hd. Dolby atmos. Dts hd ma. Dts x support with passthrough on plex.

Almost no other device supports these basic requirements.
Any idea if this supports a Qobuz app? I saw on Reddit it looks like it is possible but not perfect.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
You should provide better clarification. Apple 4k TV rev1 came out with Dolby Atmos in 2017, the same year as Fire TV, so you were factually incorrect. It is a more powerful device, has features like GIG E that the Fire TV doesn't have. Your point on the Apple 4k TV is not accurate. But in your mind, you are never wrong, so I will just end this conversation. I don't disagree with you on the Iphone, but this topic was on Streaming devices.

Side note, the Nvidia device does look interesting. Though DTS HD and DTS X seem to have lost the battle vs Atmos.

Last edited:
W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Any idea if this supports a Qobuz app? I saw on Reddit it looks like it is possible but not perfect.
Doesn't look like it's officially support. I've seen side loading the app on it or even casting to it from a mobile device could work on it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis