Best streaming device?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The purpose of the thread is to compare the best streamers , I’m using a Roku ultra .
however some consider it basic .
Roku , fire stick, google etc, tons of options it can be overwhelming.

whats you’re favorite device ?
What is the fastest, best graphics?
Best/value .
best features?
Problems to look out for in these , issues.
Every year almost something new is out !

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Is this in the wrong section, can a mod move this if so ?
General av = ? o_O
I wasn’t sure..

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
IMO, the Roku Ultra is the best. To me it offers the best user experience, the best search, it's fast, and has every app I want. I really like how you have a clean home screen with only your apps. It supports all the mainstream sound and video formats.

In comparison I have the xfnty flex 4k and an old set top box fire tv (replaced by the cube?). My gf has the newer fire tv stick. I just don't like the user experience with any of these.

I feel firetv is more about selling me azon content than providing a simple user interface with my apps. At one time the fire tv had the ability to download apps that would do this for you. However, azon was not making enough money, you don't buy what you don't see, and actually removed it from my box. That it was an android based system and this was a selling point at the time I bought it, it really pissed me off. They went on my box and removed apps that gave you a better user experience.

The flex 4k is even worse than the firetv. Like firetv, its aim is to sell you more content. By this I mean the main thing you see when you open it is what I consider advertisements for movies and shows. The first thing you see are advertising for show. These are huge compared to your apps and take most the screen. It also doesn't have as many apps. I'm not sure why? Worst of all, if you download an app next time you want to watch it you have to go searching for it. It doesn't even have a recently watched bar. Just the apps they prefer you to watch in the order they prefer them (#1 on the list is Peacock). But xfnty lets you use it for free. Probably the best selling point.

Luckily, I really only watch one TV, the one with the Roku!

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Roku Ultra. Spectrum internet 500 Mbps, Using Hulu live.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Roku Ultra. Spectrum internet 500 Mbps, Using Hulu live.
If someone were to check the actual data stream, 500 is actually higher speed than necessary but it's a great way to hedge our bets. When I do speed tests, I usually see ~350 Mbps and my subscription is for 300Mbps- I see a slight loss when I use the 5GHz band, but it's not even 10%. If I see/hear any lag, it's the provider's fault.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If someone were to check the actual data stream, 500 is actually higher speed than necessary but it's a great way to hedge our bets. When I do speed tests, I usually see ~350 Mbps and my subscription is for 300Mbps- I see a slight loss when I use the 5GHz band, but it's not even 10%. If I see/hear any lag, it's the provider's fault.
it doesn't bother me a bit, cost the same as 300 for a year ;)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
The purpose of the thread is to compare the best streamers , I’m using a Roku ultra .
however some consider it basic .
Roku , fire stick, google etc, tons of options it can be overwhelming.

whats you’re favorite device ?
What is the fastest, best graphics?
Best/value .
best features?
Problems to look out for in these , issues.
Every year almost something new is out !
Amazon FireTV Cube II

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Amazon FireTV Cube II
Seems like a step up on price , does it come with a remote? I’ve only seen commercials about it and people talking to it .
How much faster then roku is it ?

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Nvidia shield pro for this reason alone.

Dolby true hd. Dolby atmos. Dts hd ma. Dts x support with passthrough on plex.

Almost no other device supports these basic requirements.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Nvidia Shield Pro. I haven't used any ROKU devices (my son's TV has it built in), but I've owned both the Firestick and (2) Firecube 4K. The Shield absolutely demolishes the Firecube.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Seems like a step up on price , does it come with a remote? I’ve only seen commercials about it and people talking to it .
How much faster then roku is it ?
Yes, the Firetv Cube Il comes with a remote

kmidst

kmidst

Enthusiast
I'm using Apple TV 4K. I used to use Roku Ultra and before that Amazon Fire TV 2nd gen. The Apple TV has a faster and smoother interface, small metal remote with touch sensing, and I think supports all the major AV formats like dolby vision and atmos. Can also install a variety of the same apps and games that iphone/ipad can. It's more expensive, but I like using it better personally. I do not know how it compares to Nvidia Shield.

C

C49Tampa

Audiophyte
Nvidia Shield Pro. I haven't used any ROKU devices (my son's TV has it built in), but I've owned both the Firestick and (2) Firecube 4K. The Shield absolutely demolishes the Firecube.
I have run the Nvidia Shield Pro for two years now and prefer it to the interfaces Smart TVs offer. I side loaded KOBI and connected a 500 GB SSD to one of its two USB ports. The SSD holds 140GB of FLAC 5 ripped music and a 100GB of vacation pictures. The Nvidia Shield is connected via HDMI to my Yamaha A6A running SVS Ultra Bookshelf, SVS Ultra Center and SB2000 Pro sub. The sound is outstanding. KOBI has a music player, and it uses the vacation pictures as a running screen saver. The Nvidia Shield's home screen is very easy to customize, and it doesn't have any bloatware. Whether I use YouTube TV, Prime, PLEX, HBOMax, Paramount +, YouTube Music or any other app, the Nivida Shield has yet to let me down. I do not game but watch movies and stream music from Amazon and YouTube as well. That is just my opinion from a very happy Nvidia Shield user :). The only app that I cannot get for the Nvidia Shield that I really want is Media Monkey (have it on my PC and Google phone).

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I'm using Apple TV 4K. I used to use Roku Ultra and before that Amazon Fire TV 2nd gen. The Apple TV has a faster and smoother interface, small metal remote with touch sensing, and I think supports all the major AV formats like dolby vision and atmos. Can also install a variety of the same apps and games that iphone/ipad can. It's more expensive, but I like using it better personally. I do not know how it compares to Nvidia Shield.
Neither of my TVs have hdr, and only the one I haven’t used in 2 years is 4k because I need a bigger tv stand. The one I’m using now is 1080p 60hz has some motion issues and too small for basketball.
Yes, the Firetv Cube Il comes with a remote
I guess the 3rd has a remote, although it’s limited. What features make it go above the roku ultra is it faster, or more features? It’s $40 more, not sure what sale price is.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would say that the general consensus is that the nVidia Shield is the best. The pro model from them is the way to go. And it costs a pretty penny to get that excellence from them. I've never used it, but I hear time and time again about the quality and feature set it offers. I believe it.

I'm using AppleTV and Roku Ultra in my home, and our general lean is to prefer the Roku over the Apple, but more for a comfort of what we have been using more over any real quality differences. The newer AppleTV is snappy and works well.

I've used the FireTV Cube and Stick products, and both I think are a clear step down in quality from Roku and AppleTV. At this point, I would not buy a FireTV product.

For the money, I think Roku is king. Especially the Ultra. It gives a very snappy interface that works well and is consistently reliable for the money. AppleTV may offer a bit more overall quality, but it's a 50% premium to get it, without a huge jump over the Roku Ultra.

I expect in 2023 I may end up with a Shield TV Pro in my mix, just to try out. But, I have been very happy with what my (now 2) Rokus have delivered for my viewing over the years.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I am for one to have Roku built into the TV. We have a total of 3 TCL, 4k Tvs with built in Roku. The Roku apps are unlimited with simplicity to operate the TV. No extra equipment to purchase. No extra remotes. With the HT room, I have a universal remote. This was my preference 3 years ago with upgrade TV's to OLED. Everyone is happy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis