Best speakers/brand for music listening only?

K

Kordeo

Enthusiast
I apologize if this has been covered many times over already, I couldn't find anything in my searching here tho.

I'd like to get a kickin' stereo system (2.0, 2.1) for music listening purposes, NOT a movie setup. I haven't bought anything for this yet, just doing some research. So..I'll need a receiver, and 2 speakers (tower or bookshelf), and a sub if needed. I would like to stay under $1500 cdn for everything.

My big question is what speaker brand is best for MUSIC? I'm quite interested in Klipsch, but am wanting more educated suggestions.

Room-size-wize, I still live at home with my parents, and speakers would probably end up in our carpeted rec room (14'x30' ish), but I will likely move out within 2 years, so I can't help you too much with room dimensions etc. Sorry!

I'd also be into some discussion on bookshelf vs towers for music applications or anything else you think might be of value for me to know!

Thanks in advance.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Probably everyone here will tell you that it's probably best to go out and audition speakers in your area using source material that you're familiar with. This is the only way to really get a feel for what speakers you want. With bookshelf speakers, you'll probably want a sub, but with tower speakers it may not be necessary depending on how much bass you like.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
As dkane suggested, going out and listening to various brands/models is a good idea. Everyone has their own preferences for what they thing sounds good. To give an example, I have owned a few of the Klipsch offerings but was never satisfied with them for music. I found they caused listening fatugue for me. Others find them to be very detailed and accurate. I actually thought they were very good until I heard other brands that I happen to like better.

The brands I have experience with that I would at least recommend auditioning if possible are Infinity, PSB and Paradigm. There are lots other worthy candidates out there.

Something else you may want to consider is the used market. It is often possible to find gear you would not be able to afford new that is still in excellent condition. Looks like you are in Canada, so Canukaudiomart.com may be an option for you.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I have to agree with the others. Speakers are very subjective and what I like you may hate and vice versa. Generally I prefer tower speakers for music. But that's my personal taste. There are others that prefer bookshelves backed by a subwoofer. A lot will depend on what you listen to.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Where in Canada are you? There may be some local members that can direct you to good shops where you can audition a variety of speakers.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
My big question is what speaker brand is best for MUSIC? I'm quite interested in Klipsch, but am wanting more educated suggestions.

None. Everyone's opinion will vary, so ultimately you should base your decision on measurements and listening sessions. Only you can chose what is pleasing to your ear for the intended budget.

Some speakers I think sound nice are:

Salk Sound
Revel
B&W
Paradigm
Kef
Dynaudio

Listen to everything you can within your budget and then pull the trigger. Good luck.

K

Kordeo

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies so far guys. From the bit of shopping I've done it seems like most shops cater to theatre setups. Learning of some good shops around here would be cool! I am definitly willing to buy used. I'm from Kitchener area (hour from Toronto), Ontario.

And yeah, I do want to get something I like. Good advice. Interestingly, the one best buy klipsch model was on for half price so I had a listen, but I wasn't very impressed. the infinity sounded a lot more pleasent to my ears. I wanted the deal but held my ground :)

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for the replies so far guys. From the bit of shopping I've done it seems like most shops cater to theatre setups. Learning of some good shops around here would be cool! I am definitly willing to buy used. I'm from Kitchener area (hour from Toronto), Ontario.

And yeah, I do want to get something I like. Good advice. Interestingly, the one best buy klipsch model was on for half price so I had a listen, but I wasn't very impressed. the infinity sounded a lot more pleasent to my ears. I wanted the deal but held my ground :)
Don't buy the VF or VB series Klipsch's. They were made specifically for best buy, and are subpar compared to the rest of their lineup.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I can show you a great little shop in Windsor if you've got time for a little road trip.

K

Kordeo

Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind offer davemcc..so far I'm not that much of an audioholic. So far:p

dkane360: yeah, they had glowing customer reviews but some of the more professional reviews made me a little leery. Plus, I want some speakers that look sweet.. which of course means a removable grill.

K

Kordeo

Enthusiast
Something else you may want to consider is the used market. It is often possible to find gear you would not be able to afford new that is still in excellent condition. Looks like you are in Canada, so Canukaudiomart.com may be an option for you.
..for anyone else interested...I assume you meant canuckaudiomart.com Canuk with a c :)

A

andrewsch123

Audiophyte
Hi,

I suggest that going out and listening to various brands/models is a good idea. Everyone has their own preferences for what they thing sounds good. I am satisfied with the music of branded speaker but my friends not. :D

Thanks,

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Probably everyone here will tell you that it's probably best to go out and audition speakers in your area using source material that you're familiar with. This is the only way to really get a feel for what speakers you want. With bookshelf speakers, you'll probably want a sub, but with tower speakers it may not be necessary depending on how much bass you like.
while I love auditioning speakers. I've found few places to do it. Ideally you would do an in room audition of several speakers using measurement software to determine the best match. :D I've never found a place that will let me run measurements that way. Coming in with a laptop and mic tends to result in strange looks.:D

Infinity, SVS, B&W, KEF, Paradigm, Axiom, Ascend and Aperion all make good speakers. Pick one of those brands and you would be fine.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Definitely get out and listen. Canada has some great brands like Axiom, Totem, Paradigm, and more.

K

Kordeo

Enthusiast
Oh man..Axiom..I'm liking what I'm reading and seeing on their site. Wow! Anyone have some experience with them?

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Ckeck out Steves TV on ADA between Frederick and Krug. They have B&W and PSB in house and have dedicated listening rooms.

Natural Sound on Victoria CarriesParadigm and a few other brands.

Don't forget to bring along music you are really familiar with. If you want to get fancy, a notepad is worth while as it is very easy to forget what a speaker sounds like unless you do a direct A/B comparison.

If you want to check out Internet brands you are welcome to come over and check out my Axiom M80s. PM me if you want.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
As far as what is best, the only research done to date (Toole et el.) shows that the vast majority of people prefer a speaker with a flat response and a slight roll off at the top end. If you want to geek out there is lots of reading you can do on the subject in the AV University section of this site.

What individuals like is probably influenced as much by what that person is used to as it is by what they have become convinced is good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis