Best Sound System for the Money?

• Thread starter ToneDeafAudioRookie
  • Start date
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do the AMPs in these types of studio powered speakers tend to last a long time? Or is there much risk that replacing the AMPS would be difficult in a future years?
This is key I think. The modularity aspect in components as an advantage/feature and all that. The only active speakers I have probably do use amps on the cheap side, but they were fairly inexpensive so big surprise (JBL LSR305s)....but sound awesome but do have an upper limit of course compared to their upstream bros.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
I think what I'm trying to avoid in my AV Receiver selection is not be able to take full advantage of the volume potential of all my speakers. The Marantz in the bedroom has shut off several times all by itself because I had the speaker volumes too high, and they weren't even what I would consider loud.

Based on all of your great suggestions, I think I've narrowed it down to either the Paradigm speakers or the Kalis. I'll have to do a closer comparison of all the factors and make a final decision on Black Friday.
Yes, you need to realize that the louder you go the hotter the unit will get and will shut down. I believe that is the safety factor.

I think everything happens for a reason and that is due to cooling. You should have a cooling unit in top of your avr to keep high ventilation. I never go loud on my avr and I use a Cooler Guys audio cooling. The unit has 4 fans and only cost me 70, no tax on sales outside of Washington state.

It is an excellent deal. AC infinite has coolers as well and they are more expensive and only house 3 fans.

Plus with cooler guys you can swap fans easily, if you put some Noctua fans your avr will be icy.

So your options to avoid this situation with merely a $130 or less. Rather than buying a receiver which will cost you substantially more and you would still need the same cooling.

We are just trying to help, so consider what we are saying. Do your own research yourself on the matter.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Well, you were trying to blast seven 6 ohm speakers with a slim model. :eek:
Yea with that mind, you can’t do that. That’s why your unit was turning off. You have no experience with the larger units. Your receiver was actually shutting down because the impedance was probably dropping below the 6 ohm minimum the unit could handle. Don’t rush to assumptions, I didn’t even know this was the case @ToneDeafAudioRookie

You need to remember the 7013 was $2200 msrp. Why do you think it cost that much? It’s 2019 model. How much did your unit cost? What technology was it using and what year was it manufactured? You need to think about that

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Do the AMPs in these types of studio powered speakers tend to last a long time? Or is there much risk that replacing the AMPS would be difficult in a future years?
Look at how long amps last compared to speakers.... Speakers can last 2-3x longer than electronics. It's not likely a speaker with an amp inside will be repairable after 6-7 years but a speaker may last 20+ years.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Yes, you need to realize that the louder you go the hotter the unit will get and will shut down. I believe that is the safety factor.

I think everything happens for a reason and that is due to cooling. You should have a cooling unit in top of your avr to keep high ventilation. I never go loud on my avr and I use a Cooler Guys audio cooling. The unit has 4 fans and only cost me 70, no tax on sales outside of Washington state.

It is an excellent deal. AC infinite has coolers as well and they are more expensive and only house 3 fans.

Plus with cooler guys you can swap fans easily, if you put some Noctua fans your avr will be icy.
Best bet for AVR cooling costs $20.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't know about the long term reliability of kali speaker. The brand is too new for that. They are designed by industry veterans, so I think those guys would have addressed the most common points of failure.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Best bet for AVR cooling costs $20.
Those aren't bad, I actually purchased a pair more than a year ago for non audio function. I like that they use usb to be powered rather than your standard molex or 3/4pin connectors.

However, as I mentioned in my post, I think cooler guys is phenomenal. They have pretty fair prices and offer much more air flow than all of those units. Also I doubt the CFM/air flow is much different between the AC infinity and those.

Those fans would be far more efficient with a case or some kind of enclosure which need to be built, which is a hassle if youre not handy or have the tools for DIY project.

My last reason for purchasing the cooler guys is you can swap out any fans into the cooler guys mount, and if you choose Noctua, those are the industry leading fans. Nothing can cool better than noctua's, they have insane static pressure and CFM. The top of the line version only costs 27 dollars, and yes that is only for a single fan. But that single fan has 3x the air flow of 1 of those ac infinity or 1 and 1/2 times+ of two of them. That's the reason I went with cooler guys, they provide you with everything you need to add any fans. Unit failure is impossible since you can interchange the fans very easily. Not sure how the AC infinity T line, I believe it is T line costs 119, functions and if the unit dies it's basically warranty or trash. It only has 3 fans and therefore regardless you are getting much more static pressure and CFM with 4 fans the cooler guys use vs 3 of the ac infinity. Unless you go with noctua's.

Otherwise everything is exactly the same, besides the fancy tech design AC infinity has.

T

ToneDeafAudioRookie

Enthusiast
Anyone recommend a good wall mount for the Paradigm Premier 200B speakers? These speakers have approximately a 13" length from front to back. The width (from side to side) is 7-3/4".

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis