Best signal for my new Difinitive SM55 speakers?

N

NoobieHolic

Enthusiast
(New Thread on a former old post of mine.) I finally got rid of my Bose 201V set of surround speakers. It wasn't easy to sell them... No one wanted them. Upon the advice of a couple members here and reading reviews from experienced audiophiles, I settled on two of the DT Studio Monitor 55 bookshelf Speakers. Got the stands for them also.

The speakers arrive this Monday. Unfortunatly I will have to utilize my Yamaha 7.1 channel Receiver. It will only do 105 Watts per channel. Not what I want for speakers that are rated to 225 Watts RMS each speaker, but until I can get a nice 2 channel integrated Amp and a nice Pre-amp then this will have to do for now.

What type signal input from my source to the Receiver should I use? It's easy to just use the Dolby optical line, but I figure since that gets converted into analog signal before the out to speakers that perhaps just using RCA analog cables from my sound source will eliminate the need for the receiver to decode, which might result in better sound. Or does it not make a difference in this case?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
(New Thread on a former old post of mine.) I finally got rid of my Bose 201V set of surround speakers. It wasn't easy to sell them... No one wanted them. Upon the advice of a couple members here and reading reviews from experienced audiophiles, I settled on two of the DT Studio Monitor 55 bookshelf Speakers. Got the stands for them also.

The speakers arrive this Monday. Unfortunatly I will have to utilize my Yamaha 7.1 channel Receiver. It will only do 105 Watts per channel. Not what I want for speakers that are rated to 225 Watts RMS each speaker, but until I can get a nice 2 channel integrated Amp and a nice Pre-amp then this will have to do for now.

What type signal input from my source to the Receiver should I use? It's easy to just use the Dolby optical line, but I figure since that gets converted into analog signal before the out to speakers that perhaps just using RCA analog cables from my sound source will eliminate the need for the receiver to decode, which might result in better sound. Or does it not make a difference in this case?
Short answer: Don't over-think this!

Pretty much ignore the Watt rating on the speakers themselves, it is pretty much useless spec.

What Yammy do you have? You say it will "only" do 105W. Each doubling of power = 3dB increase, so unless you move up to 200-300W, you aren't really improving at all!

You are almost certainly gonna find out that your Yammy will sound great with these speakers. Hook it up and see for yourself. You really don't need a pre/pro and amp for these, and I doubt you will hear much difference over the Yammy (be sure any DSP is shut off on the Yammy).

What sources are you using?

If you want a real improvement, take that $ you want to spend on separates and put it on a subwoofer (or 2).

Edit: I failed to mention, I have a pair of the previous-generation DT SM350. I usually run these off a 35WPC Dyna-clone tube amp! It gets plenty-loud in my ~10x15 room. If I were in a much much larger room, I might need more power, but I would also just use larger speakers if I were in a larger room.

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
OP, what is the source and Yamaha receiver model?

N

NoobieHolic

Enthusiast
The Yamaha receiver is RX-V863. It's a 7.1 AV Receiver, but I never did use it for Movie surround sound. I am glad that my RX-V863 has a full set of Pre-outs. Gives me option for an integrated amp in the future. It was a mistake buying an AV Receiver when I never was interested in Home theater surround in the first place. Live and learn.

LOL! one member here blasted me saying, "Your a fool and made a big fuss over buying new speakers when you should have just listened to the first couple replies regarding what speakers to get!"
That's really not true... Others posted back with alternate suggestions on a few speakers brand and models. So yea, I let the thread ride in order to get input and ideas from more than just one member here. I don't see that as a bad thing. It gave me the opportunity to look at all the different options members gave to me.

In the end I decided on the SM55's. I'm glad I did because for only $300 each speaker I think I could have spent more for pretty much the same quality and sound. Even before making sound adjustments with my receiver I immediately noticed 10 Times better sound from these two SM55's verses the Bose 201V speakers. In fact they do such a good job kicking out a clear fast bass sound that I also sold my Subwoofer because these speakers for me put out better bass than even the separate sub-woofer I had.

While I do realize in terms of dB Increase the difference may not be huge if I add a nice integrated Amplifier, although at higher levels these SM55 speakers do seem as if they would perform better if they had a powerful integrated Amp. For $700 Emotiva sells a 3 channel unit rated at 200w per channel. Knowing that the power supply in that Emotiva is far better than the internal 105w per channel Amp in my Yamaha Receiver I feel confident that adding that Emotiva Amp will provide a noticeable difference. Plus with the 3rd unused channel I have option to add a nice Non-amplified Sub-woofer in the future if I decide to.

I'm waiting though because I was told that my SM55s will sound even better once they have time to break in.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, a lot of people (especially on AH) don't really believe in speaker break-in. They tend to think that it is reather your ears breaking in to the new speakers. I tend to believe in breakin, the polymers will stretch and outgas etc (think new car smell), but whether or not it is an audible difference is open to debate.

I think you made a fine speaker choice. Ultimately, it is your choice and your $, so don't worry if someone else isn't happy with your choice.

As far as the amp, I highly doubt there will truly be an improvement unless you are in a larger room and/or like it LOUD.

When you have your mind made up beforehand that the amp WILL be an improvement, then you WILL hear an improvement, whether it is real or in your head. Human bias is a biotch to beat.

That being said, if an amp makes you feel better or you "think" it will make these speakers sound better, then go for it! A good amp makes a good long-term investment, and you will have it for the next time you want to upgrade speakers. Quality amps mean you don't have to worry about driving more difficult loads in the future.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
LOL! one member here blasted me saying, "Your a fool and made a big fuss over buying new speakers when you should have just listened to the first couple replies regarding what speakers to get!"
That's really not true... Others posted back with alternate suggestions on a few speakers brand and models. So yea, I let the thread ride in order to get input and ideas from more than just one member here. I don't see that as a bad thing. It gave me the opportunity to look at all the different options members gave to me.
now, now, you know that's not true. There's more to that thread than what you indicate. Like your not listening to what many people said and arguing with them for several pages. You kept on arguing that your mythological beliefs were more "real" then everyone elses experience.

That thread can be viewed by clicking here if you forgot the actual sequence of events.

Please note that you didn't even acknowledge that you needed speakers until several pages into the thread. Only then did the speaker suggestions start.

But, spin it any way you wish, it IS funny that after all was said and done, you finally wound up doing exactly what that "one person" said to do in post # 3, followed by many others.

[edit] And, I see you're spouting mythology as fact again and being corrected. Maybe this time you'll actually listen and learn, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
For $700 Emotiva sells a 3 channel unit rated at 200w per channel. Knowing that the power supply in that Emotiva is far better than the internal 105w per channel Amp in my Yamaha Receiver I feel confident that adding that Emotiva Amp will provide a noticeable difference. Plus with the 3rd unused channel I have option to add a nice Non-amplified Sub-woofer in the future if I decide to.

I'm waiting though because I was told that my SM55s will sound even better once they have time to break in.
No need to wait on the SM55 to break in - they are waiting on you - also they are not bias towards an amp - the Yamaha
in 2 or 3 channel mode, has enough power to feed them

N

NoobieHolic

Enthusiast
My Area isn't that huge, but I can't help but think that an actual Amp and power supply provided in high quality integrated Amplifier would no question boost the volume output of these speakers. It just seems logical to me that the Amp and power supply in a high end integrated Amp would be of better quality than what is in my Yamaha Receiver. Maybe I'm wrong, but I look at it the same as a computer that has no separate dedicated Graphics card (Sure it can play the latest games) but not at the same level as if a separate high end Nvidia Graphics card were installed.

As for my current sound source... I'm pretty sure I'm way off the mark on what I'm using. I don't really listen to the receivers FM tuner. All I have hooked up as a sound source into my Receiver is an LG Blue Ray Internet player. I hooked it up just using RCA cables out. It plays my audio CD's and Pandora just fine, but may not be the optimal choice for the best signal delivery. I also have one input dedicated to a 3.5" cable so I can also plug in my Nokia 928 Phone and play the 180 plus MP3 Music tracks I have stored on my phone. No question that the MP3 music stored on my phone is not near as good of sound quality as the source of CD or Pandora on my BluRay player.

I'm wondering what sound source components I could get (Even if separate that would provide better sound signal to the Receiver.) I Still like my Pandora though and don't want to give that up.
Mid-December I'm getting a 200 watt per channel Integrated Amp. I'm not into imagining anything and if it really does provide an improvement then I will know straight away. If not then I can always get more from it in a few years if I go to very high end floor standing speakers.

Life is no fun if a Man has no toys (Even if useless) to spend his money on:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis